1930 Arile rear guard

Anything about Ariels
Rod Barker

1930 Arile rear guard

Post by Rod Barker »

Hi folks,
I am start out to restore my grand fathers 1930 Model F Ariel
It has the incorrect rear guard fitted
Im look for the measurements of the rear mud guard to suit a 1930 Black Ariel, So I can get one made to suit.
I need to know if someone can help out.
The width of the Guard.
The length of the removable tail section.And if possible the position of the mounting holes for the number plate and guard stays.
Also are the rear guard stays a one piece like on the later rigid frame or 2 single stays onto the same mount point.
Thanks Rod
PaulMeredith

Re: 1930 Arile rear guard

Post by PaulMeredith »

Hi Rod
As far as I know the guard is a 6inch nominal width D section guard. Usually 5.75 to 5.875 actual. That is what is on my 30G . Stays are a vertical single stay and a V stay including handle, mounted on the removable section. The stays are a C section pressings with un-pressed ends. There is a bridge that supports the guard between the seat lugs with a spacer washer each side. 30 and 31 guards have different part numbers but are very similar. We had some 31 guards made by Renovation Spares. Peter Kemp of Club Single Spares may still have one in stock. It may only be mounting holes that are different between 30 and 31 but I don't know for certain. I may be able to help you with the stays as they are the same as 31. I will PM my number if you are interested. Paul M
Rod Barker

Post by Rod Barker »

Thank you Paul, as i thought,
I live in Australia so shipping is huge on large items from over seas, thank you for your kind offer. We have a very good mob over here that will make the guard to order they have 2 different widths and tail piece lengths, so im just checking before i order a one off guard.As i do not have a correct guard to measure.
I do not require the center stay as My Model F uses the carrier to help support the rear guard??, I do have the V stay but it is for a later rigid and is to short to reach the bottom tail piece. I also have a single rear stay with a handle ,as listed in the 1930 Parts book but i assume that is off a 29 or early Black Ariel .
Do you know of hand the length of the removable tail piece on your rear guard.
adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by adrie.degraaff »

Sorry it took so long.
Here are the measurements of an all original wich isn't so streat forward becouse it's nerrower between toolboxes and slowly widening to the end.

The lengt of the tailpart is 34cm or 13-2/8 inch over the guard, the widthe is 14,5cm or 5-5/8 just under the connection.

The strip of the connection is 16mm wide, the bolts 96mm, the 2 rivets (yes i have counted them :D ) 55mm.

The bolts of the numberplate 90mm apart, down from the connection line 135mm, than to the center numberplate bolt 205mm.
Attachments
IMG_1206.JPG
IMG_1205.JPG
john.deeth

Post by john.deeth »

Hi Adrie,

Thanks for posting the photo's of your '30. It's great to have an original bike to refer to for such things.

Regards,

John
Rod Barker

Post by Rod Barker »

Thank you for sharing,