1958 FH Shrouds & Engine mods

Singles, twins and fours.
dave.jones

1958 FH Shrouds & Engine mods

Post by dave.jones »

I'm rebuilding a 1958 Huntmaster.
I have 2 identical fork shrouds, one drilled one not (BSA?), 2 'spacers' drilled and counter-bored same OD as shrouds and bottom yoke. The bottom yoke has the 3 holes. The spacers will fit on top of the shrouds underneath the yokes. The parts lists I've seen show the shrouds as being one piece.
Will some more experienced members please answer a couple of questions? I have, hopefully, attached 2 pictures to assist.
Have I got BSA items? Do the springs bear on the shroud fixing screws? Are the spacers required (why have counter-bores)?
ariel shrouds
ariel shrouds
Packing peices
Packing peices

Also I have an HCS engine which I'll probably get SRM to rebuild and carry out the timing bush mod.
I believe the HCS is Super Rocket spec, I've heard stories about thin flange barrels on BSAs.
Should I be looking to fit the BSA thick flange ones?
Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave
Richard.Carrigan

Post by Richard.Carrigan »

Hi Dave,

I can't help with the shrouds but I know BSA barrels fit, but look really weird as the fins stick out way past the fins on the Ariel head. The PO of my Huntmaster put on BSA thick-flange barrels and a BSA Super Rocket ally head -which plays havoc with the exhaust pipe run. AFAIK Ariel didn't make a 'Ariel thick-flanger' (although someone may know different) so you would have to buy a BSA part and shave the fins down.

Cheers
Richard
keith.mettam
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by keith.mettam »

Hi Dave,
From memory when rebuilding my 1957 NH forks, the 'spacers' are fixed inside the top of the shrouds and as such are part of the shrouds. The shrouds are attached to the lower fork yokes by three small screws which are countersunk in the so called spacers so that each spring bears flushly on the spacer. You will need a long screwdriver to tighten the shroud mounting screws up prior to fitting each spring etc.
Regards,
Keith Mettam.
dave.jones

Re: 1958 FH Shrouds & Engine mods

Post by dave.jones »

Thanks for your help.
With regards to the Spacers, they will not fit inside the shrouds I have.
So, something's not right!

:cry:
Moto Guzzi EV California, Suzuki GS750, Ariel FH 'Clone (WIP)
keith.mettam

Post by keith.mettam »

If you look at this DraganFly link you can just about see the arrangement at the cutaway area of the shroud on the right in the image. Screw is item 081 (x6 as 3 per shroud).
http://www.draganfly.co.uk/images/shop/ ... 056-58.gif

Perhaps the spacer parts you have are not Ariel ? Can they be machined to fit ? I seem to remember that the parts in the top of each of my shrouds were thicker than your items.

All the best with it !
Keith.
keith.mettam

Post by keith.mettam »

Looking at your spacer images again, although their thickness is difficult to see, perhaps they are of a similar thickness to my ones after all.
Keith.
dave.jones

Post by dave.jones »

The Spacers are approximately 1/4'' (6mm) thick.
Moto Guzzi EV California, Suzuki GS750, Ariel FH 'Clone (WIP)
john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by john.nash »

I just put together some early fifties forks.
I didn't have shrouds and spacers as separate parts (probably rusted together) HOWEVER there must have been something in there it was thicker at the top, than just the shroud thickness, and there was countersinking as on your spacers. It has to be countersunk otherwise the springs would bear directly on the screw heads and probably break them off over time.

BTW, I screwed them in with a long screwdriver and some bluetack to hold screw to driver !

The answer might be to buy some more shrouds (secondhand) or more likely a complete lower yoke with shrouds.
My bike came without and I got a set from John Budgen for £20 (2 months back)

cheers
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
keith.mettam

Post by keith.mettam »

Sounds about right Dave. Should still be fixed inside shrouds. Perhaps you can get some made that fit if yours cannot be modified, assuming you have the right Ariel shrouds in the first place !