Bike value

john.fawcett

Bike value

Post by john.fawcett »

Hi Guys, need a little help because I'm out of touch--lo--ng story but I need to get some idea of the value of a "basket case" Ariel c1954 all there and original with 2 engines a 350NH and a 500NH.[was a 350 in log book] Belonged to my brother who started to rebuild many years ago. Engines fully reconditioned to as new and many parts done up etc. All original paperwork and reg No.
Bike not in UK and my brother's family now want to sell the machine.What would be a fair price for this item.
My email is redgrouse75@btinternet.com Thanks in advance.
Knowledge withheld is knowledge lost !
john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by john.nash »

Depends on what you want to do ?

If you want to get the most for it, then to be fair, you'll probably (not always) get the best price on EBAY and using the "completed listings" tab will give you the best idea of what they are actually selling for. Ignore the over-priced bikes on a "buy it now" from dealers, they circle round and round until some fool pays up... bear in mind that things do fluctuate and where the bike is will affect the price.

If you want the bike to go to an Ariel enthusiast, then stick it in the mag (cheval) which is FREE. I am not sure where the bike is, but there are lots of ariel-ists over in the europe and the mag will reach them all.

If you truly wanted to help the club and keep bikes on the road, then pass it onto the Single Spares chap, for slighly less ..

If you asked me, then I'd reckon a 350 swingarm (which I think a 1954 is) , in pieces, is maybe worth around £1500. Give or take. More if it's all there, refurb'ed and just required rebuild. (If it's a rigid or plunger, then it will be more again).
I bought a complete VH500 engine ( I assume yours is a VH) for £350 last year. If your 500cc engine goes with the bike, then it should knock the estimate up at least that much, if not more.

Photo's speak volumes and if bits have been sorted then make that clear, especially things like mags.
Correct tinware is expensive to buy now; so if that is all there then that is also a plus.

Good luck.
Make sure whoever buys it; JOINS THE CLUB

cheers
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
john.fawcett

Post by john.fawcett »

Hi John thanks fot the info hopefully i will get some more opinions as well, the bike is "downunder" so a advert in Cheval might be good if it goes there.
john.nash

Post by john.nash »

oh.. that far away ...
In that case, you can probably discard my estimate - as I have NO idea what things sell for in Oz

Cheval goes to every member, I believe.
As I say, FREE for personal adverts.
You can email the editor, John Mitchell, at vh500@btinternet.com

Of course, its also free to advertise on this forum but it's less well read (at the moment) ...
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
brenton.roy

Re: Bike value

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi John,
I think somewhere around $4,500 AU for the bike, if it is complete. Maybe a little more?
I haven't been following prices that much, but there are a couple of 500's on ebay at the moment with bids around that.
I did see two Ariels for sale at Bills in Birdwood SA. A restored Huntmaster for $10,000 and a basket case 500 (VG and incomplete/ some wrong bits) for $5,500.
He seemed pretty confident he'd get the money.
Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
john.fawcett

Post by john.fawcett »

Thanks everone for your help, I have passed the info to my sister in law and I guess some lucky person will bag a great bike and finish the restoration.
John.