Wanted Swing Arm Distance Piece

MICHAEL.GOULDING

Wanted Swing Arm Distance Piece

Post by MICHAEL.GOULDING »

Hello,

Has anyone a spare distance piece as used in the late model swinging arms to keep the bushes apart. Mine's permanently attached to the remains of the pivot!

Mike
adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by adrie.degraaff »

Last edited by adrie.degraaff on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
pete.collings
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by pete.collings »

I don't have a spare distance piece, but have access to an unused NOS piece purchased from the Ariel Spares company over twenty years ago. If you are unable to get one, I can supply dimensions so you can make a spacer, or get one made, it is a fairly simple part to turn up.
keith.mettam
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by keith.mettam »

Hi Michael, I have pm'd you with the details Roger Gywnn of DraganFly sent me to make my swinging arm spacer up.
All the best with it,
Keith.
MICHAEL.GOULDING

Re: Wanted Swing Arm Distance Piece

Post by MICHAEL.GOULDING »

Hello,

Thanks for info, will call in a 'favour' + get one made. :D

regards, Mike
pete.collings

Post by pete.collings »

Hi I have a NOS spacer purchased from the Ariel Spares company over 25 years ago, they also had a NOS swingarm with bushes fitted which I purchased. I have measured the dimensions, and have pasted them in the attached document, although I'm not sure if my vernier caliper is accurate to tenths of a millimeter! However, they should be close enough for the normal Ariel tolerances. The recesses are to locate the ends of the rubber bushes, and allow the spindle to slide right through, so check they are appropriate for any pattern bushes. If a different type of bush is used, the spacer may need to be modified.
I seem to remember it was necessary to spread the frame with a jack to enable the new swinging arm to be fitted, it will pull back on tightening the spindle end nuts.
Attachments
ARIEL SWINGING ARM INTERNAL SPACER 1954.doc
Word Document
(26 KiB) Downloaded 228 times