Magneto earth terminal

General electrical problems
les.brooks

Magneto earth terminal

Post by les.brooks »

Just assembled my VB basket case, mag has been rebuilt and I have had the engine running, the dynamo is in place but none of the electrics are in place. I have no experience of mag dyno set ups so my question to those that have may seem too obvious, how does the mag earth terminal need to be connected?
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: Magneto earth terminal

Post by simon.holyfield »

You mean the one on the end of the points cover? You can leave it disconnected, and stop the engine with the decompressor, or you can wire it to a cut out button on the handlebars.

Earth it and the engine will stop.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
les.brooks

Post by les.brooks »

Thanks Simon
keith.mettam
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by keith.mettam »

Les I believe the earth terminal you are referring to is the one on the points housing body which helps fix the points housing to the magneto body. The singles don't have an engine cut-out terminal on the points cover, normally relying on the handlebar exhaust valve lift lever to stop the engine. However, the terminal on the points housing body is generally used for testing purposes, I think, but there is no harm in permanently connecting an earth wire to it which will help ensure good earthing of the assembly although this is not usually necessary or normally done.
Regards,
Keith.
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by paul.jameson »

The main use of the earth terminal on the points plate (not the end cap) is to earth the magneto and dynamo to the frame. If you have repainted your magneto platform you have a good chance of an intermittent earth connection between the magneto body and the magneto platform engine plate. Many an Ariel owner has been somewhat stumped when his bike has suddenly lost sparks a little while after the rebuild, despite having run satisfactorily for a while.

If you have had the magneto platform powder coated I would run an earth from the earth terminal to the frame earth and another from the earth terminal to a cylinder base stud. You will also need to tighten the magneto bolts several times as they bed in. When the magneto platform is painted, the paint (or powder coating) compresses with use, the bolts come slack and fall out and then the magneto chain jams causing all kinds of problems.

Personally, I never paint or powder coat the magneto platform but I have still had earth problems on a newly rebuilt bike.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
les.brooks

Post by les.brooks »

Thanks for all these replies, I've checked the earth and yes it's on the mag body so an additional earth point. I would have liked to have connected up an ignition switch to kill the engine does anyone have any suggestion how this could be done?
pete.collings
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by pete.collings »

See Ebay item 282010852530
les.brooks

Post by les.brooks »

Thanks Pete
les.brooks