low detergent oil

Recommend a bike related business
BrianSteytler

low detergent oil

Post by BrianSteytler »

if anyone has a preference for the low detergent oils 'supposedly' needed in non full flow filter systems and/or monograde oil then you may want to check CLASSIC OILS - http://classicoils.absolutewebhosting2. ... e-vehicles - website for either 20w/50 (yes i know it shows a car in the icon) or the sae30/40/50 bit.

i have just bought some and they seem fairly competitive!!
Andyozz

Re: low detergent oil

Post by Andyozz »

So is Morris lubricants.
Buy 25 litres delivered to your door works out quite cheap.
http://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/scrip ... roduct=251
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Most oils today contain detergents. Provided you motor is clean inside I can't see a problem using them unless you want genuine black gunk inside your motor like it used to be when I first repaired them in the 50's. You biggest worry with a bike not used often is (ball) bearing corrosion due moisture. You other critical area of lubrication is the cam and followers if they are not roller. Some later oils don't have the anti scuffing agents oils did 10 years or so ago. Nev
Andyozz

Post by Andyozz »

Agreed Nev
However, the oil with detergents will keep all the carbon deposits in suspension,(ie keeps the oil ways clean) therefore, eventually pumping fine grit around the engine if not changed regularly, unlike the total non detergent oil which used to let the carbon "sludge out" into the gauze traps.
Any particle under 5 microns is acceptable for engine lubrication therefore like you say as long as the engine is clean and the oil tank is clean then fitting a return oil filter will always ensure a tank full of clean oil ready for circulation.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

I use detergent oils because there are hardly any oils without them and I don't run engines that are dirty already. The latest oils are without some anti scuffing agents because of the rigid non polluting requirements. Some of our engines need those additives for the cams in particular. Nev
ian.scott
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by ian.scott »

Does anyone know of a supplier for Morris Golden Film engine oil in the Oxfordshire region
My usual motor factor supplier has stopped selling it. I dont want 25 litres as I use so little, and the discount Morris's offer is hardly worth having.
How come the market price of oil has been dropping for such a long time that fuel has gone down from £1.30+ to £1.05 and yet engine oil seems to gone on rising ?

Ian
paul_turner
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by paul_turner »

Pretty sure Paul Jameson negotiated extra discount on Morris oils to members of the AOMCC, cant find it but he posted it some where.
Paul T
ian.scott

Post by ian.scott »

He did but it was only 10% off retail, nowhere near what I used to pay from the motor factors.

Ian
john.davies
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by john.davies »

There was a gent at the last Shepton Mallet autojumble a coupleof weeks ago who was selling it at £12 per 5 litres. He is usually also at Stafford which is in a few weeks time.
John
Image 1931 Ariel VB31, 1935 Triumph 5/3 project, 1946 Ariel Square 4, 1952 Norton Model 7, 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash, 1954 Ariel VH