Paint Colour options 1957 VH

Singles, twins and fours.
Richard Kal
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Paint Colour options 1957 VH

Post by Richard Kal »

Hi all,
What were the paint colour options for the above bike please?
Many thanks,
Richard
Western Australia
john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Paint Colour options 1957 VH

Post by john.nash »

I think it's either red or claret, but I could easily be wrong.

Cherokee red:
  • Tank red/black:
  • Mudguards red;
  • Oil tank red;
  • Toolbox red;
  • frame black;
  • Stays black.
  • All other parts black
Colour Match is H968-69 VAUXHALL MONZA RED (DUPONT).

I used RAL3007 (I had the frame powdercoated that colour and got a pot of cellulose) for my claret coloured VH500.
The RAL number matched, as near as dammit, paint on the inside of the hub and rear of the engine plates. I am aware, however, that paint would have varied originally by batches.

Draganfly list some other paint matches: http://www.draganfly.co.uk/shop/pi58306 ... egoryId=52
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
Richard Kal
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Richard Kal »

John,
Thanks!
Did the factory produce an all black (with chrome) version?
Regards,
Richard
keith.mettam
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by keith.mettam »

Hi Richard,
I believe from the research I did for my 1957 NH, Deep Claret (maroon, burgandy...call it what you will) was the main option, usually with the 'pig skin' coloured dual seat (although I believe a black seat was also an option). Everything is painted Deep Claret, except (according to DraganFly's information, which they quoted from the book 'Ariel-The Post War Models') the dynamo end cap which is painted black. The fuel tank has a white pin stripe each side with this colour scheme. I don't entirely agree with this as I believe the Lucas HF1441 horn and also the dynamo strap were black. The bikes number plates would also have been black of course ! DraganFly's stated that 'Leyland Hunter Maroon B' paint is a very good match for Deep Claret. From my 1990 DraganFly catalogue they give Ford Garnet as being the Deep Claret colour match. Several people have also stated that RAL 3007 is a good, easily obtainable, option (as per John's earlier reply). If you follow this AOMCC Sales Literature link you can get a good idea what is painted Deep Claret from the pictures of the individual 1957 Ariel models available.

http://www.arielownersmcc.com/members ... /index.htm

The normal red and black export colour scheme may also have been available, I don't know....Drags may be worth an email here.
I also understand that an all black colour scheme was always an option, again Drags have got to be worth an email.

Good luck with it !

Keith.
keith.mettam

Post by keith.mettam »

Forgot to mention you will need to be a club member to fully view the link I quoted.
Keith.
Richard Kal
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Richard Kal »

Keith and John,
Thanks for your help!
Richard
david.anderson

Post by david.anderson »

Richard
Here in Oz you will probably not be able to find a supplier with a formula for the above colours. At least I couldn’t.
For Deep Claret use Citroen EKA Rouge Delage 1984 – 1991.
If you have a paint supplier that can supply Hi Chem paints the paint code for HiChem two pack is
Group 3
1 litre
Tinter
120 604.9
124 287.3
114 89.5
108 15.4
While I used the above in conventional 2 pack polyurethane, Hi Chem also manufacture iso free two pack paints which means you don’t need a booth and the protective gear that you need for normal 2 pack.

For Glamour red/Cherokee Red use Ford Falcon Le Mans Red 1992 paint code R (Very easy to get)

I sprayed samples of each of the above and compared with lightly sanded original paint and in each case I would consider them a perfect match. It would appear that Ariel paint colours may have varied from batch to batch so your bike may have been slightly different.

John, I think you may have a small error with the red and black bikes. While the red black option was available in 58 I'm not sure about 57? except for the cyclone? For a VH the mudguards may have been black? The mudguards were red on the FH. At least thats the info that I have.May be someone has something definitive.
David