Bulbs 12v - 6v General confusion?

General electrical problems
mark.scott

Bulbs 12v - 6v General confusion?

Post by mark.scott »

Hi. I've just had my mag and dyno refurbished on my 36 RH. My bike has had a 12v conversion using a regulator from a car. So I've decided to swap it back to 6v positive earth with a new regulator. This means re jigging some wiring (I'll probably re-new the loom to make a neater job) and obviously changing bulbs back to 6v. I've taken the headlight apart and am confused with what I've got (pictures attached) It appears to be a car bulb and maybe a car reflector? There doesn't seem to be a bulb holder for the main bulb any ideas? Am I able to fit a holder for a 6v bulb and 6v pilot bulb? Any ideas much appreciated.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
mark.scott

Re: Bulbs 12v - 6v General confusion?

Post by mark.scott »

Just looked at Drag website - should have done this before posting - seems as though I've got a rogue reflector so need a new one withe relevant accessories holders, bulbs etc. Thanks Mark
alan.moore
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by alan.moore »

I would think that bulb should come out of the holder...otherwise how do you change it if it blows. Can it be twisted round in the holder?
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

The set up you have is correct for the year, except that the headlight bulb should have a holder to go into. Clearly, someone has removed this and inserted the modern bulb, which probably works far better than the originals did. I suspect the modern bulb must be fairly easily replaced but I don't suppose 6volt versions of this bulb are too commonly available, unless they fit VW beetles or camper vans.

Incidentally, I rode about 25 miles home last night after the Gloucester Branch meeting on a 1937 headlamp, 12volt, with halogen bulb. I could see ok, well enough to overtake one car,but only on a bit of road I know like the back of my hand. Elsewhere it was all too often slow down for the bends, or the car coming the other way, or the Webmaster's KH dying on him again (but it was the KH's first real trip out, so I had to try and look after him).
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
mark.scott

Post by mark.scott »

I've trawled the Internet and think I have found some 6v halogen headlight bulbs, rear, brake and pilot bulbs. I'll let you know how I get on. Hopefully I'll be doing some night riding soon. Cheers Mark. P.S. Any opinion on neg or pos earth for a 36 RH ? I'm going for + earth at the moment.
john.nash

Post by john.nash »

paul.jameson wrote:..... or the Webmaster's KH dying on him again (but it was the KH's first real trip out, so I had to try and look after him).
Ouch ! :oops:

All my stuff is getting the 12v treatment, as the 6v batteries fail, with LEDs everywhere.
Just waiting for a decent bpf 12v led headlamp bulb ....it seems the push bikes have brighter lights than us !!!
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
markus.nikot
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by markus.nikot »

John,

could recommend these

eBay-Artikelnummer:251856827453

Markus
AOMCC German Branch Secretary
some Ariel - only Ariel
Eero.Korhonen

Post by Eero.Korhonen »

Ariel VH 1954, IZH 350 1962, H-D Sportster Hugger 1992, AOMCC Member 133
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

That looks interesting, to those of us on coil ignition! 12V only?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com