1953 mud guard

Singles, twins and fours.
jim.dumont

1953 mud guard

Post by jim.dumont »

I found a bobbed ariel rear fender that has the same profile as my 1950 sq 4 does, the 53 VHA have a narrow rib down the center like the 1950 or is wider like the later ariels ? I tried looking at pictures but it's difficult since most pictures are taken from the side . what year was change made? help would be appreciated JIM
jim.dumont

Re: 1953 mud guard

Post by jim.dumont »

hi I also forgot ask is the bracket thats riveted to mud guard on the inside or on top of the mud guard JIM
brenton.roy
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi Jim,
I have a 1955 / 56 Square four - frame GMxxxx . It has the flat rib on the front guard.
The best I can do the other way is 1951, which has the round rib.
I think 1954 or '55 was the changeover year (not before), but I'm not sure which. Someone will know.
The bracket is riveted inside.
Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
david.anderson

Post by david.anderson »

Brenton, Jim
the bracket is rivetted to the outside of the rear mudguard on my 1956 square4 frameGM xxx. (not sure if you were referring to the square4 bracket)
The 53 mudguard has the narrow rib. The rear mudguard changed in 54 and again in 55. (Although the 56 and later mudguards are regarded as the same as 55 mudguards, the indent for the chainguard is different to allow for the fully enclosed rear chainguard)
The bracket is rivetted to the inside of the rear guard for 53 rigid frame mudguards but I have seen the bracket rivetted to the outside for plunger frames (probably original). The mounting points for plunger frames is wider apart so it would appear to be sensible to mount the bracket outside to reduce the offset in the bracket.
regards
David
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

Oopsies - thanks David - yes it is... It's quite a wide bracket as you say. I looked at the front. I'm sorry Jim.
David, was your MK2 imported from new? I haven't seen very many later squares locally - lots more MK1's, I think due to police use. My dad imported the one I have from the UK.
Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
david.anderson

Post by david.anderson »

Brenton
my square 4 is an ex police bike so I have done it up in wedgewood blue as Victorian and ACT police bikes were originally wedgewood blue.