What lights for my Square Four?

Singles, twins and fours.
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

What lights for my Square Four?

Post by simon.holyfield »

I'm thinking about the electrical system for my '51 Square Four.

I have the original dynamo, a nice 6V Altette, but everything else is up for grabs.

I tend to ride around reasonably sedately during the day, and rarely at night, so I may not go to 12 V in the interests of having the dynamo charging at low speeds.

What power, from my 70 W budget is available for lighting? How much does the coil absorb? 20 W maybe? If I went for LED lights everywhere could I sustain a 45 W headlamp?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
david.anderson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: What lights for my Square Four?

Post by david.anderson »

Simon
my experience with a rebuilt 6v generator and a small 6v battery and running headlights on was that around town at 30 to 35mph the battery would be flat and the engine would start to missfire in about 10 minutes. That is with a 30W quartz globe and LED tailight. I had to be running at least 45mph before the ammeter would break even and around 55mph to put a small charge into the battery. I would say you have no chance of running a 45w headlight globe. I then built one of Bennets alternators after his article was published in Cheval, which is without doubt the best thing you can do for your 4. (My build time was about 180 hours). Now that Bennet is selling them I would have no hesitation in purchasing one. I now run a 60W Xenon globe, handle bar heaters, heated seat, and electronic ignition and have a lot to spare. The old Lucas can be used for a sinker on your next fishing trip.
regards
David
Paul Slootheer

Re: What lights for my Square Four?

Post by Paul Slootheer »

Hello Simon
Although I’am not to shure about the electrics on a Square Four I must say I’am very pleased about the 6 volt LED head light I recently aquired for use on my VH (fitted with a 60 watt dynamo). It will fit into any British Pre Focus shell. It uses only 10 watts at max. and you can compare it with a 65 watt conventional light bulb… It comes with an extra electronic unit (you can glue into your headlamp shell) which enables you also to use the “eco-position”. This position only uses 6,5 watt and is very usefull if you want to use lights when driving at day time. There is only ONE position for the head lights which is the is the main beam, so there is no High beam. Not sure if this is legal in the UK, but in Holland we do not have MOT for motorcycles…
Expensive? Yes! But with lots and lots of light and in combination with a LED taillight/stoplight a electronic regulator (you can put into your ‘old Lucas’ housing) and a 10 amp gell battery it does the job and eases live of your original Lucas dynamo/altenator!!
Paul ;)
Take al look at this link: http://www.beckelektronika.nl/
Attachments
bpfled1.jpg
bpfled1.jpg (19.08 KiB) Viewed 2795 times
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi Simon, this is the link to Bennet Longman's alternator stuff (that David refers to). http://www.barkshire.co.uk/AOMCC/Knowle ... m_759.html
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.