HS cam followers

Singles, twins and fours.
david.anderson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

HS cam followers

Post by david.anderson »

Does anyone know what radius HS cam followers should be. My 57 VH was fitted with a HSmk3 cam when I bought the bike back in 72. The followers that were fitted are the same ½” radius as standard followers, but the feet are shorter and are set at a different angle to standard followers.
David
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

Your description confirms that you have HS cam followers. The difference is slight, but important. You can run an HS cam with standard followers but you don't get the performance of a full HS. The bike is likely to be less harsh though.

Paul
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
ben.mitchell

Post by ben.mitchell »

Hi David
If using a MKIII HS cam then you should be using one HS follower and one standard follower, if using a MKI cam then both followers should be of the HS type..the word 'should' is only to be applied if you want to do what the factory did and has no more implication than that, you 'could' do what you want! I can't remember which of the folowers should be HS and which Standard for the MkIII but the parts book should specify. I hope this helps...the HS is lovely bike.
Ben