W/NG information/details/help.....anything!

Singles, twins and fours.
&e.vanderlinde

W/NG information/details/help.....anything!

Post by &e.vanderlinde »

Am, finally, getting around to the restoration of this Ariel. I won't go into specifics but, let's just say there were only three owners before me and the first was the government. It was acquired ( ;) ) before the war was seen out and was looking to be, lovingly, looked after ...............
So, here I am, with an original, almost complete, W/NG.
The engine number had been ground out and replaced with H2630. I found the correct number, though, in a different place which, luckily, had been overlooked by the second owner. This is BH11656 and is listed as part of the 3,000 Ariels requested, by the WD.
The Contract Number is C10477.
The frame number has been ground out and a different one added. This shows as H3279. I doubt I will ever know what the real number should be. But, there again, I consider this as part of the 'bike's history.
Now, according to Orchard & Maddern's listing this shows it was ordered late in '41 and the orders began coming through in Jan '42 with a completion by Feb '42. This has been verified by Draganfly, up in Bungay. Also, it is recorded as having 1,500 of the 'bikes go to Chilwell while the other half went to Ashchurch. Some to RAF and some to RN. From what I have been told, these were like distribution depots and the bikes would have been allocated their whereabouts from here. Is this correct? I cannot find any verification on this fact.
I need to replace all rubber components as they are pretty well perished. All except the tank knee grips as these are in, surprisingly, an OK condition. Shame that I have had to throw the tyres as these had been so unused that the little bits of rubber nobbles were still intact, and that the side walls stated these were WD with the noted arrow on them! I will need the following, if anyone can help:-

Handlebar grips
Handlebar anti-vibration clamp rubbers
Kickstart rubber
Gearchange rubber
Footrest rubbers
any other rubber component that I am not aware of?

This is where I have my first discrepancy. I have been told that the Gearchange rubber was not fitted to W/NGs. I do a lot of homework when I am interested in something but this seems odd. Can anyone put their input into this?

I have been questioned whether I should have, even, the two Ariel tank badges! For your information, my tank has the two indents either side but they are clean and smooth without any indication that they ever had any plate or fixing in place. This makes me question this as well: If the badges were attached with the two small screws (which, I have been told were then soldered into place to stop them vibrating free) then why do I not have any screw holes or, at least, a plate that may have been welded in place? Could my 'bike have used Ariel transfers instead? Could it not have been issued with any?

There are parts missing which I do know are required. These are:-
Handlebar horn button.
Regulator.
Top tool box
Bottom tool box
(and their associated brackets and 'bottle cap' knobs)
Field stand with its swivel bracket, spring clips and any other part associated with it.
Small chain for the oil tank cap.
Battery carrier and associated bracketry and straps.
Any help with the above would be grateful.

I was told that I must follow the relevant Owners Manual/Guide for my 'bike. Being that it is part of the Contract C10477 this dates it to late '41/very early '42. I have this manual but it does state, on the cover, that it is a reprint (and, therefore, updated and edited?) from '43. I was told (and pointed out in the manual) that my 'bike was issued with pannier frames, canvas bags and the 'Y' straps. Also, that it had a head lamp blackout mask. And that EVERYTHING was painted in a khaki green........Oh, and then, I was told (in the next breath! :roll: ) that it would have been totally down to each division/regiment/soldier/ or what have you, as to what they requested or how they finished it at their end!!??!!
This is what started the cogs whirring. I know that my 'bike looks pretty much today as the day it left the RAF field back in the 40's. I started researching and found this information:-

The R.A.M.T.S. Circular (dated October 1943) requested that (as part of ongoing concerns):
B.273 [date from] 12-06-42 Fitting of pannier bags and pillion seat conversion sets [for] Ariels

and.......

The R.A.M.T.S. Circular (dated January 1945) requested that (as part of ongoing concerns):
MOTORCYCLES
HEADLAMPS
(a) High power circuit 24-watt bulb.
(I) Low power circuit 3-watt bulb.
(ii) W.D. Pattern masks will be fitted.
(iii) If masks not available, action as in para. 2 (a) (v) above.

[Which is.......]

(v) If mask not available, light exit 2 inch diameter semi-circular hole in opaque material fitted behind the glass. Base of hole on centre line of lamp and circumference below it. Lower half of reflector painted Matt black up to 1/2 inch above centre line.

My 'bike shows no signs of any pannier frames being fitted let alone any holes in the mudguard to take the requested pillion seat. Also, I have no blackout mask fitted. Instead, I do have a slightly blackened half of the reflector and part of the glass.
As you can see I am ( and have) having great headaches over this. I would be most grateful of the following help:-

Finding the parts that need replacing, or are missing, from the above.
Knowing what to do about the tank badges.
How the field stand attaches to the frame using the swivel joint.
Should all my nuts, bolts, screws really be 'cotterised' when most will be painted over anyway?
Then there is the finish of the 'bike! Another great can of worms!
I am in contact with IWM and RAF, etc as I am hoping to find out where the 'bike was distributed and, finally, issued. Does anyone have an idea how I can find out what regiment/division/RAF/RN would have had this 'bike? This would, probably, dictate what colour finish I should have. But, there again, do I finish it in the appropriate colours as a tribute to my dad, who was a part of the SBS during the War and landed at Anzio and helped liberate Rome? If so, what would I have to do to get the colours and markings?
I know all this is pretty long winded but I would appreciate any help, directions, pointers, input or, even, argumentative discussion! The best bit of advice I have had, so far, is to go by original photographs of the date for my 'bike. Not photographs of 'bikes that have been rebuilt in modern times.
Looking forward to hearing from you all.
Regards.
&e
john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by john.nash »

I found these guys to be a help withe military bikes:

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/ ... 16&msgid=0

but it looks like you're already on a blanket forum attack ...
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

I have one of much the same vintage. The handlebars varied as well as many other things like timing chain covers and steel primary chain guard. Your model has tapered section bars rubber mounted. The gear change lever and ALL footrests do NOT have rubbers. The gear lever is longer and heavier that tha standard lever so you can change gear with army boots on
There is a special catch spring to hold the kickstart lever in the "up" position. The primary chain guard is "as Cast" as are the gearbox cases and the rocker boxes. The gearbox retains the "trials" gearbox ratios ( and they are a pain as there is a big jump to top from 3rd). There is no provision in the outer case for a speedo drive either.
The voltage/current regulator is the same as all the single bolt field coil generator, ((small one) There are variations of the headlamp switch with a "test" and tail light only position, but these may have varied depending on the destination.
All nuts etc are black.
In the field the paint repairs were done with something like a broom and and a bucket of universal khaki paint. Nev
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi &E ?
I don't know anything worthwhile about W/NG's - but the Ariel tanks just post war didn't have enamelled badges - just transfers, hence no plate for the screws.
Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.