Locks and Keys

fgething

Locks and Keys

Post by fgething »

Hello again, the Ariel Leader i have as the original lock in the lid of the dummy tank but no keys, fortunately its unlocked so i can get in and out. Does any one know if the keys were pretty much the same on a lot of Leaders or were their big variances. also the same question about the Pannier locks, were the keys similar to other Leaders, the locks look new on the panniers and again no keys. Any one have any ideas please.

Also i would like a rear bumper/fender for the bike and a clock ( i bet a lot would ) is it asking to much to be able to find such extras, cheers Fred.
Roger James
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Locks and Keys

Post by Roger James »

Hello Fred,
The keys used in the parcel lid lock on the Leader are the 'FS' range of keys widely used on British cars in the 1960's, replacement keys are easy to find at autojumbles and on ebay. You will find the key number stamped on the underside of the lock, you will have to remove the bracket that holds it in place to do this, although you might need to give the lock a clean first for it to show up and in my case get a magnifying glass out to read the numbers. It will probably start with a number 9. The keys are not pretty much the same, they varied a lot.
Back in the 80's I used to get spare locks from the local scrap yard from cars like the Triumph Dolomite as they used the same lock in the lid of the parcel compartment in the dash.
I've got some spare keys of the FS range as I've owned quite a few old Brit cars that used them (and still have a few Reliant and Bedford), if you find the number let me know and I'll see if I've got the right numbered key for you.
Regarding Pannier locks, they are a unique key made by Cheney in Birmingham not used anywhere else on the Leader, the keys are very basic that came in two numbers 40 and 31, the latter is the key number that works in most pannier locks. I've got a spare key if you want it, its free as I have a few. I was the last person to order a batch of Pannier locks from Cheney before they destroyed the tooling equipment, I only found that out when I tried to order another batch of locks, they had my address details on record, I wish they had contacted me first to let me know they were discontinuing that particular lock.
Original bumbers turn up on ebay from time to time but you can get a very very good all alloy reproduction bumper from Brian who offered you the underseat lock brackets, Brian has the bumbers caste at a foundry, carries out the machining and polishing to a very high standard, once fitted they look as good as an original chrome bumber but it wont rust.
Brian has also been working for a very long time now on another alternative, a bumper in fibreglass and he's very nearly there.
In fact if you look down the list of headings you will see one for Leader Bumpers created by Brian that contains pictures of the different bumper bars. Original, caste alloy, fibreglass long and a short version for fitting to a Leader without panniers.
Regarding the Smiths 8 day clock - these clocks were not unique to the Leader, Smiths made thousands of them for fitting to cars decades before Ariel fitted them to the Leader, they are always turning up for sale on ebay but you do have to be wary as they can vary a bit in the facial back plate design, if you see one for sale don't just go on a picture as they were made in at least two sizes, basically 2 inch that will fit the Leader instrument panel and much larger 3 inch that wont fit but they look very similar in a picture in a listing on ebay and its easy to get caught out.
Also be aware that the mechanism of the clock is rather basic and they can be temperamental, the last one I had repaired the bill alone came to £100 and that's on top of buying the clock in the first place.
An excellent alternative is to buy a reproduction 8 day clock that looks the part but has a modern movement powered by a battery, I've gone down this route now preferring reliability over originality. These modern movement clocks were and probably are available to purchase through the Ariel club, I think Smiths Industries or whoever owns the name these days didn't like the name Smiths on the face so it was changed to Ariel that I'm perfectly happy to see on the clock. If the club cannot supply any then I can put you in contact with another supplier, Ian Bartram. I think he uses the word' Speedos' or similar on his clocks.
That's about all I can help you with on these subjects at the moment.
Keep the questions coming, its very quiet on the Two Strokes Section of the Forum. Roger J.
Last edited by Roger James on Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Roger James

Post by Roger James »

Hello Fred, Here's a photograph showing some different 8 day clocks that will fit a Leader Instrument panel.
The two on the left are original Smiths wind up 8 day clocks, note the different clock faces, not that it matters they both fit the Leader.
The next two are Ian Bartram clocks with modern battery movement and the one on the right is the Ariel clock with modern battery movement.
I've owned these some years now so there could well have been tweaks and changes made since but just wanted to give you an idea of what these clocks look like.
Roger J.
Attachments
Clocks that will fit the Leader instrument panel
Clocks that will fit the Leader instrument panel
fgething

Post by fgething »

Hello Roger, thanks again for a very informative and great reply. Re the lock for the compartment lid, yes the numbers are there and the three numbers are 894. Also I will take your offer please for the free key for the panniers, much appreciated. I will look for Brian's article re the rear bumpers, and also see if I can find 2 inch battery clock, if not I will come back to you for the contact you have.
Roger James

Post by Roger James »

Hi Fred, I've had a look through my keys but I don't have FS894, sorry, however have a look at ebay item number 271688725717, the seller will cut you a new key from code for £2.69 inclusive of postage, cheaper than I've paid for a used key at Newark autojumble.
There are two Pannier lock keys on the way, posted them this afternoon. Roger J..
Last edited by Roger James on Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
fgething

Post by fgething »

Hello Roger, thank you for the keys, really appreciate all your help and kindness. I have ordered one of the keys off EBay that you suggested, will get another if it fits o.k. The wiring on the bike is not up to much but with the bike came a few bits and pieces in a cardboard box, in the box was a new wiring loom not sure if it's the right one or not. Will post a photo of it if/when I find out how to post photos on the site. Thanks again, cheers Fred.
alan.moore
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by alan.moore »

Fred

Regarding photos:

Click on 'Full editor and preview' button under the Quick Reply box

click on the blue tab under the 'Post a reply' window where you type in your message, the tab says 'Attachments'

click the box on that tab which says ' Add Files'......This will open an 'Explorer window on your computer,

Next go to the folder where your photo is and click on/ select the photo you want in your message and then click the 'Open' button

The photo will then be uploaded to the forum

with your mouse click in the big message box / post a reply box at the point you want your photo to go and then in the Attachment box click on Place Inline

You can add up to five photos, just repeat the steps for each photo

Click the Preview button to see what your post looks like...when you are happy click the Submit button

Hope that makes sense
Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t
fgething

Post by fgething »

Thanks Alan