Cable advice please

roy.brown

Cable advice please

Post by roy.brown »

I’m still trying to sort two niggling issues with my newishly acquired Golden Arrow, before I take it for MOT. These are cable related.

First, the front brake cable, which I believe is routed correctly (through the near-side dummy tank hole and behind the right fork leg), really strains tight when I turn hard lock to the right, to the point where it starts to apply the brake! The total overall length of the inner cable, including nipples, is 45 3/8” - can anyone tell me please if this is correct? Pictures I see of other bikes it looks like the cable curves more between the fork top and the brake drum, i.e. there’s more length.

Second - I’m struggling to get the throttle operating smoothly. The cable looks newish and is in good condition, I’ve lubricated it well, plus, I’ve checked that the twist grip and carb slide are both running free. I know the cable should be routed through the off-side dummy tank hole (as mine is), however, I notice in many pictures of current bikes the cable doesn’t go through this hole but is routed through the front side of the dummy tank, adjacent to the speedo cable. Is this done to reduce kinks in the cable and to aid smooth operation? Any thoughts? Also, I've found a company who make-up silver/grey cables (correct colour for Golden Arrows) where the outer cable can be ptfe or nylon lined. Has anyone ever used these type?

As usual, any help/advice greatly appreciated - I’d love to get to a couple of classic shows this season!

Roy
bh.sprint
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: Cable advice please

Post by bh.sprint »

Hello Roy,

I've found that some of the brake cables are not long enough and operate the brake on full lock. I buy my Leader cables from Johnsons and they seem to operate OK. My Arrow has a different brake with the brake plate on the nearside so I've not much experience of the standard set up.

The throttle cable work best if made from flexible inner cable ( 7 x 7 ) which is very flexible and if lubricated with molyslip or the lubricant recommended by the suppliers will give a very smooth action for a long time. The cable has a nylon liner. It works especially well on the bikes with a 376 carb. which has quite a tight bend where the carb comes near to the frame.

Brian.H.
bh.sprint

Post by bh.sprint »

The cable maker is now known as J J Cable Ltd. 01926 651470.

Brian.H.
bob.keevil
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by bob.keevil »

Hi Roy

I had a front brake cable made up by J.J. but should have asked for a 49 inch not a 47 inch, the front mudguard now needs a respray.
Cheers Bob.K