VB Ignition Timing

Bikes or not. Whatever
martin.cooper

VB Ignition Timing

Post by martin.cooper »

Hi All,

My 55 VB is a bit of a pain to start.

The mag gives a nice fat spark, and when running, the engine plods along nicely, and will pull well up hill with no problems, but when I come to restart from hot it can be a bit of a b*****r!
What should I be setting the timing at BTDC? I assume it needs to be set with the mag fully retarded?

In the summer, after a bit of a slog up over the moors, in roasting heat, I stopped and nothing other than a bump would get her to fire....could it have been a problem to do with fuel vapourisation? Should I fit a heat spacer between carb and inlet manifold?

Finally, what are peoples opinions about the effect on plugs with modern fuels containing ethanol? I have been told to run with a hotter plug than book standard to try and prevent fouling...this comes from a pal that races a classic outfit.

Cheers, Martin
Knud.Degnbol
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Knud.Degnbol »

Get a new condenser/capacitor or what you call it. It sits inside the armature.
Knud
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

re the ethanol, there shouldn't be a problem unless the tank is fibreglass. The engine should run a bit cooler and as the ethanol content rises you would need to retune the carburettor to enrichen it and you would get a lower gas mileage, under those circumstances. The VB wouldn't run a very cold plug anyhow would it?
With plug heat range, it's usually the revs, compression ratio, and throttle position that dictate the need for a colder plug. NOT the size of the engine. (Assuming your mixture is right). Nev
john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: VB Ignition Timing

Post by john.nash »

martin.cooper wrote:Hi All,
My 55 VB is a bit of a pain to start.

The mag gives a nice fat spark, and when running, the engine plods along nicely, and will pull well up hill with no problems, but when I come to restart from hot it can be a bit of a b*****r!
What should I be setting the timing at BTDC? I assume it needs to be set with the mag fully retarded?

In the summer, after a bit of a slog up over the moors, in roasting heat, I stopped and nothing other than a bump would get her to fire....could it have been a problem to do with fuel vapourisation? Should I fit a heat spacer between carb and inlet manifold?
My VB was the same
Started easily cold, but woebetide you if stalled or you stopped after it wa hot. It had to be left to cool down for a bit.
There was a spark visible at these times; but not much of one.

My Magneto required a recondition, which was done by Merv:
http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/viewt ... ?f=23&t=52

So, I'm with Knud here.
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
martin.cooper

Post by martin.cooper »

I know its nothing to do with the size of the engine, the feeling is that the standard plug as per specified back when the bikes were new in the 50s, are now not as suitable for fuel with an ethanol content of 5% which is what we put up with here...A hotter plug seems to improve things (looking at the colour and deposits off a used hotter grade plus vs say an N4)
I have checked the jetting and it is std.

I will try a new capacitor
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Any magneto that has an original coil is running on borrowed time. I have had plenty of bikes where the spark fades after about one ond a half hours running. when the magneto is rewound and the condenser checked and replaced if necessary, you have a completely different motor.
I had a veteran V twin that I had rebuilt for a guy with intermittant hard starting that I suspected was experiencing magneto problems. It took 1 and! 1/2 hours on the test bench, before it broke down and gave an intermitent spark. up to then it performed flawlessly. Nev
Knud.Degnbol

Post by Knud.Degnbol »

Keith.owen

Post by Keith.owen »

Hi,
Just another thought - do you have an insulating washer ( a thick gasket made of tufnol or something) between the carb and the inlet manifold? When carbs get unduly hot this often produces a similar effect.

Keith
Keith Owen
Editor Cheval de Fer
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate