Magneto condenser

General electrical problems
brenton.roy
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Magneto condenser

Post by brenton.roy »

Found this on eBay. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170836479547 ... 1436.l2649
Will this device solve the paper wrapped, leaky capacitor issues that require expensive maggy rewinds and rebuilds?
It looks horribly small for a capacitor / condenser..
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
ian.scott
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by ian.scott »

Yes, I recently had my mag rebuilt by them and one of these fitted and the bike has never ran so well since I took off the SR mag I was using for trials.

Ian
keith.hodgenia
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by keith.hodgenia »

As ever, it depends! A condenser can fail open circuit or closed circuit. These condensers only fix one or the other condition. I don't remember how you test what condition you have.Perhaps the vendor knows. Keith.
pete.collings

Post by pete.collings »

As I understand it from the supplier website, the existing connections to the old condensor have to be removed for the new one to work, but I think the screw connection from the centre of the condensor to the points block remains to connect with the points block via the central locating screw. In essence, you are putting a new condensor between the two halves of the points block, rather than having it as an integral part of the armature.
There are extensive details on the company website about how to make the conversion on an existing armature.
The advantage is that if any future condensor problem occur, you only have to remove the points block for a replacement, rather than dismantle the armature.
They have been around for a year or so, and I have not seen any adverse reports as yet. If anyone know different.....
Ken.Targett

Re: Magneto condenser

Post by Ken.Targett »

Good to see you folks discussing our Brightspark EasyCap condensers on here.

Glad to hear, Ian, that your Ariel's MSL1 mag is running well.

Yes, Keith, a magneto condenser can fail open circuit or closed circuit, but the majority just go very leaky. Open circuit failures are very rare.

Perfectly correct in what you say, Pete. The old condenser in the armature needs to be removed or disconnected, but the connections of the two ends of the low-tension winding to earth and to the live CB point need to be maintained.

Ken
http://www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
Leejm

Post by Leejm »

Old condensers are made from paper and oil.They dry out and play up with age. Remember your mag is now 50 plus years old! I have an easy cap and the mag is great now. And if it does goes you can replace it with out a complete strip down. You do have to remove the old one to use it. But that should of been ripped out anyone. If you want your bike to run right that is.
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project.
tony.barnett
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by tony.barnett »

I fitted a Brightspark condenser to a BTH KC1 magneto recently. It was easy to rewire (although hard to get the armature apart, but that was more down to undoing screws than anything else). The mag is on my 1930 Ariel Model B. It now starts well hot or cold and runs fine.

I'd give it a go - follow the instructions on the website. If you have any queries then ask Ken (who I don't know at all) - I did and he advised me very quickly.
KOBI
Swindon Branch Secretary
Ariels - 1913 TT Model, 20 Roadster, 28 Model D, 30 Model B, 38 VH, 52 VH
Velocette MAC, KSS Mk1
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Most original motorcycle condensers have mica separators . Leakage is the main fault but some can just fail with too high a voltage for them to handle. (The small replacement types more so).
Most repairers like to replace the condensers, but I check my originals and if they are OK, leave them running on my own bikes as I can wear the comeback.
If you do replace them The original is removed and the new smaller one mounted so as to connect to the coil and the points as the original did. (through the retaining screw. This may entail a bit of trick work such as putting the condenser in a plastic moulded shape to secure it in the armature , where the original one was.
IF your points are pitting you have a crook condenser and a weak spark at low revs particularly. If it is mismatched to the coil, one point will erode more than the other. Nev