Arrow plastic fork caps.

colinmnorfolk

Arrow plastic fork caps.

Post by colinmnorfolk »

Hi everybody,
I'm a new member and am on my fourth Arrow since 1964. My current bike, bought as an abandoned project, is now completed and on the road but is minus the conical caps that cover the tops of the front fork shock absorbers.
Does anyone know where I can obtain some, or a substitute ?

Colin M.
Roger James
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Roger James »

Hello Colin,
Try, Keith who lives in Chester, he is known to many owners of Leader/Arrows as, Keith with Tons of Spares, although he doesn't have as much stock left these days having sold a container load to Draganfly Motorcycles he might still have a few of those caps left. Tel 01244 675430.

Jess
colinmnorfolk

Post by colinmnorfolk »

Thanks Jess,
I've just spoken to Keith who confirmed the caps are currently unobtainium......but he is seeking a new supplier. Obviously the tooling costs need to be justified so I would ask all Arrow owners to register an interest so any potential manufacturer can foresee a market. I'm a Draganfly registered customer, as they are local to me, so hopefully they will take up the case as well.
Best Regards.
Colinmnorfolk
Roger James

Post by Roger James »

Hello Colin,
Sorry to learn Keith with Tons of Spares couldn't supply you with any caps now.
With regard to tooling to make these caps, I thought Draganfly purchased the tooling used by Brian D Gay because he was emigrating, Brian used to make them back in the 1980's, they were a very good copy and had his initials BDG inside so you can differentiate between originals and his reproductions, perhaps it was just a rumour that Draganfly had the tooling to make them otherwise I think they would have done so by now.
For many months but not in recent months the suspension caps were being advertised for sale on ebay on a fairly regular basis by someone living in Kent but I do not have any contact details for him, perhaps just mentioning it here on the forum might result in someone knowing who he is and posting his contact details for you.
I'll keep my eyes and ears open for you.
Jess
colinmnorfolk

Post by colinmnorfolk »

Thanks Jess,
Your input is much appreciated......let's hope it spurs a response.

Colin M
colinmnorfolk

Post by colinmnorfolk »

Hi, Everybody,
As an update, I have trawled the 'net and have discovered that the nearest shape for Arrow fork caps seems to be "heat shrink pipe caps" that need to be trimmed to size.
I have ordered some and will let you know how I get on.

ColinM
Roger James

Post by Roger James »

Hi Colin,
At the time of typing this message there are six suspension caps being sold together in one lot on ebay as, Buy it now for £30 plus a bit of postage.... Item number 271690194656
They are used caps but don't be put off by their dirty condition, the plastic can be cleaned up but if still stained then they can also be painted.

Jess
colinmnorfolk

Post by colinmnorfolk »

Hi Jess,
Thanks for this......I had a look just now and the sale has ended.
I have tracked down a suitable supplier of the pipe caps, as above, and have had some delivered. The shape is damn near the Arrow caps but they have to cut down to length as they are 90mm long. The plastic is quite thick and robust and takes paint ok. The "heat shrink" does not need to be used and I will use a bit of silicone sealant to bed mine on as they are of a slightly larger diameter. I thought about applying heat to shrink them on but decided to quit while I'm ahead ! However they are cheap enough to experiment.
They are on e-bay, ref. 390924804156. They look great on the bike and would need a very keen eye to spot the difference.
Hopefully this is problem solved until when or if someone comes up with remaking the originals.

Colin M.
Roger James

Post by Roger James »

Hello Colin,
So sorry you missed the chance to buy those original caps, after seeing them I had a look at you postings to see whether you had left a contact phone number or I would have given you a ring straight away whilst they were still available, I also thought of buying them to secure them for you but wasn't sure you would have been happy with their condition.
I've had a look at the pipe caps you've found on ebay, I'm impressed that there is something out there that is very similar in shape to the originals and will do the job, well done for finding that item, airing this post on the forum and making it known of the availability of those caps on ebay could help someone else out if they are also searching for those caps.
All the best.
Jess
colinmnorfolk

Re: Arrow plastic fork caps.

Post by colinmnorfolk »

Hi Everybody,
Here's an update.....the caps were trimmed to length, painted and fitted using silicone mastic (as an adhesive and to take up the slight slack).
The verdict is ; they work ! They look so similar to the originals that only a purist would spot the difference. So, in the absence of someone producing a direct copy they are a satisfactory alternative.

Colin M.