My dad's Ariel 1000 square four.

Who has my old bike ? What was this bike? Pictures of your old bikes etc
alfred libreri

My dad's Ariel 1000 square four.

Post by alfred libreri »

Hi there,
I am from Malta and I love bikes. I think this comes from the fact that my father who died in 1976 was crazy about bikes. Before the war he sometimes had as much as five bikes .He used to by them from English servicemen serving in Malta and with the help of a friend he even imported s/h bikes from the UK. When he heard about the new Ariel 1000 square four he wanted one. He went to the Ariel dealer here in Malta and ordered a new one (price £100)on April the tenth 1937. He took delivery of the bike at the end of July 1937.
During the war, my dad decided to sell the Ariel to another Maltese man, a mistake he regretted all his life. When I grew up, I tried to locate it but with no success. Some time ago I saw an article on an English motorcycle magazine of a test drive of a /37 Ariel like my father's, and in the feature the owner a Mr Munro, said that he bought the bike from a guy who brought it with him from Malta. I am thinking that it is the same bike. If someone can help me in my quest I'll be much obliged. By the way the reg. number of the bike locally was (193) and it was a (4g) model and the engine no was (DC540). I am still in possession of the original purchase order, paid receipts, and guarantee from the factory.

your friend Alfred.
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: My dad's Ariel 1000 square four.

Post by paul.jameson »

Hello Alfred,

Normally, I would not post information like this but your case is pretty unique. The bike went from the factory to M. Muscat in Malta, with 3.25 x 26 tyres, 100mph speedo and pillion seat on 8th July 1937. If someone thinks they have this machine, I can check the frame number to confirm it is the same machine.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
alfred libreri

Re: My dad's Ariel 1000 square four.

Post by alfred libreri »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your help regarding my quest about dad's Ariel. Please note that in the agreement of purchase I still possess , my father ordered the bike with these specifications: complete with electric magdyno, lighting set, electric horn, speedometer up to 120 mph in tank, pillion seat, two ports? and tyres 25x3.50. The only thing that I don't have is the frame number but only the engine number which is DC540.

Thanks Alfred.