E3 charging miracle

General electrical problems
markus.nikot
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

E3 charging miracle

Post by markus.nikot »

The charging of the dynamo fitted to my sloper is a miracle. It a refurbished, original Lucas E3, runs at 6 volts with an electronic VregII regulator.

Off the bike, D+F connected, battery attached the dynamo motors at 6 and 12 volts very powerful in the correct direction. Fitted on its position revving the Ariel - nothing to read. Check with D+F connected attached a bulb or voltmeter - nothing. Splashing via F, no result.

If it motors powerful everything, rotor, field and brushes should be OK - or am I wrong?

Any suggestions?

Markus
AOMCC German Branch Secretary
some Ariel - only Ariel
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: E3 charging miracle

Post by paul.jameson »

Remove the dynamo from the magdyno and see if you can rotate the fibre gear wheel by using your finger. If you can't, re-engage the dynamo gear part way, remove the spark plug, rotate the engine using the back wheel and see if you can stop the dynamo rotating by means of a small screwdriver blade in the gears. That is the only way I know to check the slipping clutch on the magdyno without taking the magneto off the bike.

If that is all ok, check the wiring to the regulator, particularly the earth. Run a wire from the earth terminal on the points end of the magneto to the regulator to be sure.

Re check that the dynamo turns the correct way when it motors. Re check that the regulator is positive earth if the dynamo is and similarly the battery.

Check that the dynamo brushes are not sticking at all.

Check that you haven't overheated the dynamo and thrown the solder from the commutator. It will work as a motor if you do this but not as a dynamo.

If that lot fails, come back for more suggestions, or leave the thing alone for a few days then creep up on it when it isn't expecting you and have another go.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

IF your battery is fully charged, nothing will happen. You have flashed the dynamo, which is generally necessary. The charging voltage is just a bit over 7 volts. A generator should put out a lot more than that but is regulated back to the "safe" voltage, by adjustment. Nev
markus.nikot

Post by markus.nikot »

#Paul, it is the early magdyno without clutch.
Checked as advised, put new brushes in and everything seemed still ok but when running the engine still no charging.

Next action was dismounting the dynamo and drive it with a drill, D+F connected and attached to a voltmeter it shows at full speed which is 2650rpm bit more than 8Volts, even a bulb glows - that's good. The voltage rises very slowly but I think it works and I was only fearful to rev the Sloper high enough for a proper reading.

Think the dyno produces enough power for my usual LED daylight.

Merry christmas
Markus
some Ariel - only Ariel
paul.jameson

Re: E3 charging miracle

Post by paul.jameson »

Leave the lights on overnight then try it with the flat battery !!
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Not fully flat is better. Is everything in the field circuit normal? The magnetism there controls the generators output and the residual magnetism (sometimes missing after repair or long period idle) gets it started. Lift the cover of your voltage regulator and watch the relay points pulling in. They should do it at a bit above idle speed. Nev
markus.nikot

Post by markus.nikot »

Nev,

the dynamo was originally a 3 brush typ and runs without a regulator.
Nowadays it is converted to two brushes with an electronic regulator - sorry no relays to spot.

Will check again with a nearly flat battery.

Markus
some Ariel - only Ariel
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Markus I note also the regulating is done with diodes I presume. That is fine as long as they have a good heat sink. There are different ways of powering the field coil. You might get a voltage reading (but low current) with NO power applied to the field coil, just from the residual magnetism. The field wiring can be 2 ways IF one end is attached to the +ve brush the regulator will control the voltage to an earth, or the opposite will apply. The current through the field controls it's output, as it did with the 3rd brush set up. Nev