Dynamo removal

General electrical problems
MICHAEL.GOULDING

Dynamo removal

Post by MICHAEL.GOULDING »

Hello,
I need to remove the dynamo from my VB. Whats the easiest way, do I need to remove the complete magdyno or can I do it without disturbing the magneto/timing?
Thanks Mike
admin
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by admin »

it's easy.
No need to distrub the timing:
  • On the timing side of the magdyno (that's where it goes into the timing case), there is a small nut that holds the threaded end of the dynamo. Take it off.
  • On the drive side, where the magneto points cover is, remove the two wires from that end of the dynamo (usually held on with a single screw and a kidney shaped plate). If it's using these original fittings then you'll always get the wires back correctly. If they are not fitted like this; then make a note of which goes where.
  • Loosen the strap, doesn't need to come off, that goes over the middle of the dynamo. Usually requires a stumpy screwdriver
  • Pull the dynamo out from the drive side
While it's off take a look at the fibrewheel that drives it, which is still inside the magdyno.

Refitting is a reversal.
When pushing the dynamo back in, then you may need to rotate it so that it's little gearwheel meshes. You will know this has happened as the dynamo will sit hard against the magdyno body.

Do you need a picture ?
MICHAEL.GOULDING

Re: Dynamo removal

Thanks for reply, sorry to sound a bit dim, but to remove dynamo nut you mentioned do I still need to dismantle timing covers to gain access to this nut.
Mike
admin

Post by admin »

magdyno.jpg
magdyno.jpg (29.06 KiB) Viewed 3180 times
Small nut in blue
Strap nut in red (one on other side as well)
Wiring in green

Of course, I assume you have a VB that mounts this sort of system.
What year is your bike ?
MICHAEL.GOULDING

Re: Dynamo removal

Hello,
Many thanks for all the help.
I've managed to remove dynamo + sorted out the reason for it not generating any charge, ( the field coils were connected the wrong way round, so it generated when turned in the wrong direction).
Hopefully once the new regulator arrives all should be ok.

regards, Mike