fuel tap help needed

Bikes or not. Whatever
chaz.wheeler
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

fuel tap help needed

Post by chaz.wheeler »

Im working on a Velocette Vogue for a friend, nearly all set to go back and it springs a leak from the fuel tap, my guess is it hasn't had fuel in for a couple of years so corks have dried out.
the problem is the plunger can be taken apart to change the corks , Ive enclosed a picture of the plunger , Ive taken apart only to find the square on the end that locates into the threaded part has snapped off.
Ive looked at Wassels catalogue and online but can anyone recognise the plunger and recommend a place for a replacement?
Attachments
velo fuel tap
velo fuel tap
chaz.wheeler
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by chaz.wheeler »

close up of plunger , right hand end should have a square on
Attachments
DSC_0233.JPG
Knud.Degnbol
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: fuel tap help needed

Post by Knud.Degnbol »

It is not quite clear to me how it shall look.
But I would take my lathe and turn and file a new one in brass. I suppose the material is brass.
If you don't have a lathe, you might be able to silversolder a piece of brass to the broken end and file a new square from that. Clean the end of both pieces, so you have clean metal to solder on. Silversolder is just as strong as the parent metal.
bh.sprint

Post by bh.sprint »

Hi,

Attached a picture of the parts which make up the Ariel Leader/Arrow tap. The forked valve part which is the one you want/need, is the one which I use in the Leader taps. I don't have any spare at the moment, the ones I have are all destined to fit into the taps which are on order. I will be making some more but it will be in about 7/8 weeks time.

Regards Brian. Hinchliffe.
Attachments
DSC02649 tap parts.jpg
chaz.wheeler
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by chaz.wheeler »

Hi Brian, thanks for the offer, I see there are a few places advertising them but they too are out of stock. If I cant get a fellow VMCC member to make one soon I will have to wait for one of yours as Ive had the bike a while and the insurance company are chasing me to settle the repair.
chaz.wheeler
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by chaz.wheeler »

Hi Brian

any news on when the plungers will be made? thanks
bh.sprint

Post by bh.sprint »

Hello,

I've nearly got the tap internals done, I had run out of most of the tap parts so it's taken a long time to get all the 12 parts machined. -- but I have found an original forked valve which is in fairly good condition with most of the small square intact. I've tried it in a spare selector and it fits OK. It will need some loctite to make sure it is secure. You can have this straight away. The small slot in the fork lines up with the long slot in the selector, so it uncovers the reserve hole when the tap handle is rotated.

Brian.H.

you can also contact me off site via www.arielbike.co.uk go to the contact section.
chaz.wheeler
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by chaz.wheeler »

Hi Brian, received and fitted all ok.
now all I need to do is get the 376 Amal carb sealed up. only 3 or 4 parts available from Burlen or Surrey.
RobCarter
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by RobCarter »

Try direct from Amal at amalcarb.co.uk
Rob C.
1954 FH
chaz.wheeler
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by chaz.wheeler »

rob, amalcarb.co.uk are Burlen fuel systems , normally my first port of call, they only have 4 items for the 376, dont list the carb on make of bike either, ive called them allready