Burgess air filter box

Singles, twins and fours.
john lloyd

Burgess air filter box

Post by john lloyd »

What is this box off?
What is this box off?
Can anyone advise me as to which is the correct Burgess air filter box for my 55 VH? I am having trouble fitting the rubber connection to the carb. The first box I aquired had hole in the front of the box which cutaway to the side of the box. I struggeled with this box assuming I had the wrong box for that model. I sold that box and bought another but this box just has a hole cut into the front face of the box. The rubber is still shaped to go around a corner of the box in some fasion. I now have seen another filter on Ebay that has a cutaway for the rubber on the top section of the box. I'm a bit confused as I don't see a rubber advertised to fit the box I now have.
Mike.Morgan

Post by Mike.Morgan »

Hi John, my VH one is buried someone but I can check when I'm home next weekend if no-one has confirmed for you by then.

The rubbers are made by Jeff Hunter Engineering (0121 7451954), based in the Birmingham area, they make almost all rubbers for every British bike. His father who started the business is also a well known club member so you know they will fit exactly.
pete.collings
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by pete.collings »

I think it is off a VB, I sold one for a deceased club member a couple of years ago, and seem to remember it's cutaway was the same as above.

The NH/VH box has a cutaway that goes round the LH corner (viewed as above), the 650 FH has a cutaway on the opposite (RHS) side, I don't know about the KH.

With a template, you can modify the top section of the filter box to suit a VH by welding/brazing a plate inside to cover the existing hole, and cutting a new aperature to suit. A bit of work with filler and a new paint job should hide the alteration.
The other parts should be the same as other models.
john lloyd

Re: Burgess air filter box

Post by john lloyd »

$_57[1].jpg
Thanks guys for that info, as I said I originally had a filter box with a cutaway to the L/H side but I could not get the rubber ( Draganfly part 9005-55) to fit at any cost,without it 'kinking'. I have seen another on Ebay (see picture) so I wonder what is that off? If my new filter is off a VB will it connect to the VH carb I wonder?
Cheers John
robjameson

Post by robjameson »

Yes that is the right box for a vh
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1954 Ariel KH
1948 Ariel 4G with 1920's Ariel Sidecar/Triumph Chassis
AOMCC Twin Spares Organiser
jj.palmer
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by jj.palmer »

Air filter box, Ariel motor cycles..jpg
Hi John
This may help you, it is the 1953 Ariel Motors Ltd drawing of the air filter box for both singles and twins, in the alteration column of the drawing it states that in 1954 the "louvres" were deleted, I assume to be replaced by the "gauze" design. It would appear that the one you are showing was therefore made between 1953 and 1954. Be careful how you view the drawing as it is in 1st angle projection.
The drawing shows the intake and the exhaust (fits to the carb.) being on opposing sides, yours may require turning around.

Regards
John Palmer.
robin.parker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by robin.parker »

John.
The Air filter box on my '57 VH is just like your second 'photo and the rubber fits fine.
I superglue the rubber to the box, which it fits nicely, then, when assembling/dismantling it's easy enough to fiddle the rubber on or off the carb.
Robin.
Steven.Carter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re:

Post by Steven.Carter »

robin.parker wrote: I superglue the rubber to the box, which it fits nicely, then, when assembling/dismantling it's easy enough to fiddle the rubber on or off the carb.
Robin.
That's a good idea
john lloyd

Post by john lloyd »

OK, still slightly confused, I assume from the replies, the second picture(yellow background) is the correct filter box. By modifiying my box (1st picture in black) to make a cutaway on the top of the box this will then fit, using the rubber bought from Draganfly?.
Does that sound right?
John
robjameson

Post by robjameson »

Correct, the yellow background filter is the right one, and you will be able to modify yours by moving the hole.
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1954 Ariel KH
1948 Ariel 4G with 1920's Ariel Sidecar/Triumph Chassis
AOMCC Twin Spares Organiser