front brake cable

robbiechaps

front brake cable

Post by robbiechaps »

the front brake cable seems as though it is to short no matter how I position it. I measured the length from tip to tip ==42inches/1070mm. is there any diferance between the leader cable and arrow, :?:
Roger James
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: front brake cable

Post by Roger James »

Hi,
There is a difference between Leader and Arrow brake cables but only at the lever end, the Leader has a longer cable end connection so you can connect up the spring to the brake light switch, also they have an additional ferrule that pushes into the lever bracket on the handlebar but that apart as far as I know they are actually the same length, however there are two different cable lengths for the front brake for both the Leader and Arrow depending on type of brake anchor bar you have fitted, either early type that was mounted at the bottom of the offside fork leg or later brake anchor bracket welded on part way up the offside fork leg.
My guess is you've got the wrong length of cable for type of brake anchor point.

Roger J...
robbiechaps

Post by robbiechaps »

thanks for that roger what I am doing is converting a leader into an arrow café racer!! a bit mad but it helps pass the time in old age ,regards. :roll:
Roger James

Post by Roger James »

I've just done that on a 59 Leader changing it to a Café Racer, it now looks more like a early Sports Arrow in Gold and Light Admiralty Grey with shortened front mudgards to increase air flow to the barrels and shortened tail section that I picked up already cut down at an autojumble a few years ago that's finally come in useful.
The engine has had a bit of tuning work carried out, a 49T rear sprocket and 1 1/8 Amal 389 fitted, no rider footrests using converted rear sets on the swinging arm as the factory did for the Production Arrow racers. Exhaust system is standard.
The handlebar clutch and brake levers are modern items that have adjusters on them making it quick and easy to make fine adjustments by just reaching forward to turn the adjusters rather than having to stop, get off and make the adjustments, it did mean having to cut back and remove a few coils of the outer cable to make the cables fit.
Gave it a run out at Darley Moor circuit in July and have booked it in to ride at Cadwell Park later this month with British Historic Racing as a PR5 Road Bike and only costs £15 for the session. Great Fun.
Roger J
Attachments
59 Café Racer Leader/Arrow at Darley Moor circuit in July.
59 Café Racer Leader/Arrow at Darley Moor circuit in July.