Overseas membership

Bikes or not. Whatever
david.anderson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Overseas membership

Post by david.anderson »

I just received a nice letter (snail mail) from the overseas secretary advising that I had not renewed my membership. Oops. But when I checked it appears that I also did not receive one Cheval de Fer so possibly the renewal was with the missing magazine. As the magazines are in the members area library I caught up there, and I renewed my membership with Paypal.
But it also got me thinking. Overseas members pay a higher membership rate due to the cost of international postage for the magazine. I would be happy to pay the standard membership fee and read the magazine in the on line library, or to have the magazine emailed to me. there would also be a print saving for the club.
Do other non UK members feel the same. If so possibly the club could consider overseas members receive their magazine by email or read it on line.
David
Steven.Carter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: Overseas membership

Post by Steven.Carter »

Occasionaly though you need the mag to get the password and username when it changes.

Steve
barry.swanson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by barry.swanson »

...I'm with you Dave, and the passwords are viewable in the online Chevals Steve...Barry.
richard.harvey

Post by richard.harvey »

Yes, I would also support such a move as an option.
john.mitchell
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Oversea mebership

Post by john.mitchell »

It would be interesting to me to hear more views on this. Obviously there will come a time when the Cheval and other similar magazines will all arrive online. I know that at present there are a considerable number of UK members who do not get involved with computers at all. Others just use them when they absolutely have to. And many others who would prefer to have a paper copy anyway.
What is the situation outside UK? Everyone on this group by definition is pretty at home on the web but what about your friends who are not on this group?

The idea of having two grades of overseas membership (or indeed UK membership) does not immediately appeal. For a start it will be more difficult to control. We would save on postage and printing to an extent but we may also lose out on the quantity discount we get on both. The saving to overseas member would be less than 40p per month. What do you think, guys?
John Mitchell
Ex Editor Cheval de Fer (1998-2021)
chris.shearwood

Post by chris.shearwood »

Hi John,
I guess I'm old fashioned but I prefer reading paper versions of newsletters. Savings of 40p per month would not be important to me as that represents a very small percentage of what I spend on my motorcycle hobby.
Regards, Chris
1946 4G and 1951 VH
chris.vredenbregt
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by chris.vredenbregt »

I have the same with another english club so I get an on-line version of their magasin ,I put it somewhere on the computer so I can find it again and seach for things of interest when I want.
I put he paper version of cheval in a closet after reading and forget about it,so I am in for a on-line version.
black ariel model G special 1930 500 OHV
david.anderson

Post by david.anderson »

I have just received an email from the Australian Ariel Register. The Register produces a 3 monthly magazine, The Horses Mouth, which is posted to all members. The email asks whether members support the electronic distribution of the magazine as well as posted print. The email also advises that the matter of electronic distribution was discussed at the annual general meeting and as a result it was decided to survey members. So clearly the Register is considering changes.

Australia post has also recently advised that it is considering reducing its current 5 day mail delivery service to a 3 day service, although they suggested that a 5 day service may be possible at a premium postage rate. Australia Post have found that letters have reduced dramatically but parcel delivery has increased considerably. (Unfortunately Parcel postage costs have also risen sharply, so I now use Fastway for parcel delivery).

It was also reported on by the media here that Canada was considering abolishing home mail delivery and going to a post office box system at a central point for mail collection.

Generally snail mail is going to continue to reduce and electronic mail will increase.
David
fpassmore

Post by fpassmore »

I like the "greener" idea of the email/online version but certainly see the point of considering what impact it has on the overall economy of scale for production of the magazine and postage costs.

Ah, Canada Post and the wonders of the Canadian government and it's machinations. All new developments and sub-divisions have central post-box stations now but they are a constant source of complaint about being broken into and defacement so not that popular but it will happen to us all. At our home we receive 7 to 8 pieces of real mail a week and about 5-6 parcels (depending on how busy I am I tend to get bored and wander through the ebay aisles). Australian postage rates are just silly, I consider very carefully how badly I want a piece before I put out that kind of serious money. I recently bought a couple of armatures for $70 and paid $185 to ship the damn things.

Oh yes, back to the matter on discussion here, email copy would be fine for me if it works for the AOMCC.

Frank
'51 SQ4, '56 NH, '56 VH, '37 VH500 Red Hunter, '56 SQ4 (basket case), '49 Sq4 (basket case), '48 A7 BSA Twin, 12 other BSA's, 9 Norton's, 2 Triumph's, 3 Ducati's and 3 Japanese. Just crazed is all my problem is.
Knud.Degnbol

Post by Knud.Degnbol »

I like to have my magazines on paper. It's not logical, as they take up less space if they are electronical and hidden in the computer. But nevertheless -
Knud