Ariel 1948 VH project

pete.collings
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Ariel 1948 VH project

Post by pete.collings »

There is a slight difference in length between the cam bush fitted in the crankcase and the matching bush fitted in the innner timing cover. I don't have anything to hand, but believe the crankcase bush is the shorter one.

You can adjust end float for the cam by gently tapping the timing cover bush inwards until the cam rotates freely with minimal end float, if you overdo it just tap it back out and try again.
I never used a gasket between the inner timing cover and crankcase, just a thin layer of silicon gasket which was allowed to set fully before fitting the inner cover. I also put a bit thicker layer around the oil return pipe stub, in place of the additional paper gasket.

By leaving the gasket out, you need to check that the cam followers do not bind when everything is tightened fully. If there is any end play (put two adjacent fingers in the follower cups and try to move the followers from side to side), use a shim to minimize the play, but leave a bit of end float.
Derek.stratton

Post by Derek.stratton »

hi pete, thanks for the reply, yes your right the crank case bush is shorter.
i tried your 2 fingers in the cups method and i have side play, not to much, maybe 1mm.
cheers
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Watch the fit of the inner bush in the case. If it moves into the engine it will all stop suddenly. There is no flange so it must be tight in the case. 1 mm is too much end play for a two lobe cam and you will hear a noise due to the excess float . It really only needs a small amount of end play ( a few thou), as it increases as the engine heats up. Nev
barry.swanson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by barry.swanson »

Derek.stratton wrote:...... i really hope that the mag chain has a break link.. fingers crossed.
cheers
Derek
Hi Derek, if it was mine I'd be tempted to take the pump out again and use a chain without a joiner just for a bit of peace of mind...cheers Barry.
dave.owen
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by dave.owen »

If your only worry about taking the pump off is oil draining then use a golf tee in the feed hole when the pump is off. Dave
AOMCC Treasurer
Derek.stratton

Post by Derek.stratton »

Another update.
rear wheel on (went with 3.50x19 K70), just need the stainless axle nuts to arrive.
Painted the seat.
Now, on to the barrel, need to get sleeved. it measures 83.16 and i have a brand new carrillo piston that measures 82.2 so it's off to see Darren at north coast engines in Coffs Harbour.
if anyone would like to add some experiences they have had with sleeving the barrel, i'd love to hear it.
stay tuned!
cheers
Attachments
photo.JPG
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

A sleave should be atleast 2mm wall so better going to standard size and keep this piston for later.