1950 NG

Keith.owen
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: 1950 NG

Post by Keith.owen »

Hi,
The one thing missing on my bike has been the toolbox, ever since I bought it in 1975 and it is the one outstanding item to complete the restoration.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I have acquired some pattern tool boxes and will be using the frame for another project as a template.

From what I can gather, the bottom fixing is welded in place and has a hole at the extreme that fits over a protrusion on the mounting lug for the right-hand rear foot rest. This is therefore the most critical item, because it places the box in position relative to the frame. There are two brackets that clamp the box to the upper frame member. These are oversize and there is some packing between these and the frame tube. These are fixed equidistant between the middle of the box and either end. I intend to tackle this, this weekend, and will let you know how I get on - if you like I can provide pictures / drawings ?

Keith
Keith Owen
Editor Cheval de Fer
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate
martin.carter

Re: toolbox fitting

Post by martin.carter »

Hi Keith
I would be very interested to know how you get on fixing the toolbox to your frame.With most pattern toolboxes i dont think they come with the bottom mounting bracket, so assume you will be making one.I also believe that the mounting hole in the bracket is elongated to allow for slight adjustment. I managed to get an original toolbox but it needs a few repairs,also a few problems getting it to fit correctly, as it pulls up too tight against the seat mounting lug.Spacers were suggested, but there is very little room between the brackets and the top of the toolbox.
Good luck with fitting yours, and plenty of photos would be a great help to me.

Cheers
Martin.
martin.carter

Re: 1950 NG

Post by martin.carter »

Hi Chris
Im still trying different ideas on fitting my toolbox, you would'nt think that fitting something as simple would be such a problem. I have seen the video of your NG before, quite a while back, when looking for NG's on the internet, sounds nice for a 64 year old machine.

Martin.