Two Stroke Oils.

Pete-b

Two Stroke Oils.

Post by Pete-b »

Just wondering what two stroke oil most Leaders & Arrow owners use, is it the old mineral oil, or the new oil, like putoline low smoke oil, and can any one put me right for ratio mixture for the different oils, as so many opinions differ for the mix, don`t want to blow the old girl up on her first outing.
cheers,
Pete.
bh.sprint
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: Two Stroke Oils.

Post by bh.sprint »

Evening Pete,

Opinions vary a bit on this subject but I used semi synthetic oil for a long time on my Leader at 32 to 1. Recently it was said that something in the current petrol washed off some of the lubricant used in the semi oil, so I went back to mineral oil of a good quality ( there is a quality number on the side of the container ). I use this at 32 to 1. Some riders use up to 40 to 1 but I think the plain little ends need a bit more lubrication.
On the first run/few miles I used about 25 to 1 , which is said to alter the fuel getting thro' the jets but I don't think it has much effect on these low performance engines/carbs.

I've done over 14,000 miles with about 1/2 thou wear on the bores.

Brian.H. Still working on the fuel taps !
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Modern two stroke oils are very good. Carbon formation is minimal and the octane rating is not reduced as it would be with an ordinary motor car oil added to the fuel as it used to be.
A MINERAL based 2 stroke oil is said to offer more corrosion resistance than some synthetics.
I have a bit of experience with SCOTT motor cycles and aircraft with two stroke motors and from what I have found out, oil formulated for water cooled outboards is NOT suitable for hot piston temp air cooled two strokes. The ring land operating temp is the determinant.
I think I would use something better than lawn mower oil, in a leader, but it would not need a racing type oil.
Plain small ends are more of a worry than needle rollers for lubrication, but ring groove carbon build up is the biggest killer of two strokes . Modern oils have made the two stroke a much easier thing to live with than it ever was. Nev
robin.parker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by robin.parker »

Has anyone thoughts or opinions about using something like Stihl branded 2-stroke oil?
keith.hodgenia
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by keith.hodgenia »

Hi Robin, I expect you will pay a premium for branded oil like Stihl, i have been using mineral 2 stroke oil from a number of discount outlets in my old villiers engines at about 30 to 1 without problems and they use bushes for the main bearings as well.
Pete-b

Post by Pete-b »

Hi, and thanks for you replies gentlemen, I think I will go with the mineral 2T oil, and start with a 30 to 1 for her first outing.
thanks again.

Pete.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

The problem with the small end bushes is the temperature they operate at, particularly with loop scavenged engines. Nev
adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Two Stroke Oils.

Post by adrie.degraaff »

nevhunter wrote:Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:00 am
Nev do you know how difficult it is to post at exactly 12.00 :D .
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

IF I was trying to do it Adrie, It wouldn't happen. Just a fluke on this occasion . Some people are born great, others have it thrust upon them....Nev