Late VH with push-in exhaust pipe.

Singles, twins and fours.
dick.warne

Late VH with push-in exhaust pipe.

Post by dick.warne »

Over the years the bore in the head gets worn with the passage of many exhaust pipes, so you can end up with a very sloppy pipe in an enlarged 'ole! Almost impossible to seal, and when you throttle back, you get quite a number of people looking round for the source of the explosions! Take the pipe and silencer off, when cold, then clean the pipe/head joint as well as you can, then apply Wickes clear silicon bathroom sealant in the head and on the pipe, then bolt back on the bike. Make sure the pipe/silencer joint is nice and tight, then wipe off any excess sealant. Leave to cure overnight then go for a blast next morning! Works for me, and you can of course break the joint at any time. You can also use this method for the earlier stub-type heads with the push-over pipe.
ben.mitchell

Re: Late VH with push-in exhaust pipe.

Post by ben.mitchell »

I have done the same as Dick with the silicon seal on the exhaust pipe, it has generally lasts a couple of years before needing to be done again, which is no problem as you are more than likely going to be taking the exhaust pipe off for other reasons in that timescale.
Ben
chris.vredenbregt
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by chris.vredenbregt »

A friend of mine who used to be a professional speedwayer (jawa)used it as well, only he use blue transparent silicon sealing and it worked great, so even on a methanol burner!!!
Chris
black ariel model G special 1930 500 OHV