Contact breaker problems

General electrical problems
keith.mettam
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by keith.mettam »

If you are interested Peter, Thorspark do an electronic ignition system utilising the old magneto. The mag is just used as the mounting for their stator and drive for the rotor parts of their electronic system which is convenient as it also remains to drive the dynamo. The original cable (or auto- if used on twins) advance/retard method is retained and used with their system and coil ignition is provided. Clearly your old mag will need the advance/retard and centre screw issues sorting out. It will also be necessary to ensure your charging system is efficient and have a good battery fitted. The 'Thorspark' electronic system is available in both 6 and 12 volts. Worth a look :-
http://www.sussexmotorcycles.com/thorspark.html
As an aside, my much later NH is presently set up with the cable slack for full advance which, in my opinion, is the better choice. I have no issue yet with the cable getting heat damaged as it is just about clear of the cylinder. As Peter has said you can always easily get round this problem.
All the best with it, Keith.
john.whiting
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by john.whiting »

Yep,no safety gap screw on a Single magdyno,there are two on a twin magdyno,makes sense ,you cant run a single with one lead detached.Later magnetos are claimed to be self keeping,but I had my doubts about the wartime magdynos which I have as spares.Lots of people have home made magnetizers,and an ordinary compass from a cornflakes packet will tell you which pole goes where.Good magnetism makes for a good spark,guys with hardstarting bikes often have mags where you cant feel the pull as theyre rotated by hand.I believe there are people in England who fit an entirely electronic self generating setup in the casing of a magneto.Probably costly.Regards John.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

If you can run without requiring a good battery that has to be an advantage. The magneto's are not really a problem if they are fixed properly. I have a professional magnetiser ( Krypton) that makes fuel tanks rock on the bench when they are about a foot away and still have the most problem getting the Lucas magnetos to a good level of magnetism. I have all the old Lucas workshop in house publications too. Magnetos are OK. Nev