Swinging Arm Pivot Bolt - Crankcase Insert

Malcolm.White

Swinging Arm Pivot Bolt - Crankcase Insert

Post by Malcolm.White »

1962 Ariel Arrow

This is my first encounter with an Ariel Arrow, so have been working with a copy of the workshop manual. It doesn't, however, address a couple of issues I've found in taking it apart. I will therefore very much appreciate any thoughts on the subject.

In the interest of keeping subject threads separate, I'll post new topics for each. Sounds like I have a lot, but I only 3 at this time, including the subject line of this post.

The crankcase insert for the swinging arm pivot bolt is stripped. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? It looks as though it's a threaded insert. If this is the case, what's the best way to remove it? Alternatively, one might consider a helicoil, but there's then a possibility that it won't be in line with the other hole when drilled and tapped.

Thanks,

Malcolm
Roger James
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Roger James »

Hello Malcolm, About three years ago I purchased a complete but rather scruffy looking Arrow and decided to rebuild the engine in situ, rather than removing the engine from the frame, this was done and fired it up o.k. allowing me to ride around the garden, at this point I decided to restore the bodywork but found I couldnt extract the swinging arm bolt, it just kept turning because the thread was stripped in the crankcase. Once out and the engine removed I had to strip it down again undoing most of the work just carried out to lighten it and allow access I then took it to the clubs Twin Spares officer, Colin Reed Aspley who advertises in Cheval and he inserted a helicoil, it was a success and should not be a problem lining holes up etc if its done by someone who knows what they are doing. By the way there should be a steel washer around the hole on the inside part of the crankcase to give some protection to the alloy at the entrance to the hole and thread from the metal core of the swinging arm bush, these washers often go missing even if the thread is still good. Next time I pick up a project I'll make sure I can remove the swinging arm bolt first before rebuilding the engine.
So to sum up, you should be able to get a helicoil fitted to repair that stripped thread. Regards Roger
Malcolm.White

Re: Swinging Arm Pivot Bolt - Crankcase Insert

Post by Malcolm.White »

Hi Roger,
Thanks for your response. It's good to know that a helicoil insert will do the job.
Regards, Malcolm