timing

Singles, twins and fours.
toms.goss

timing

Post by toms.goss »

I have just rebuilt 1957 350cc redhunter complete engine rebuild and runs sweet when started, to start it is the problem when i retire the spark she will still kick back you have just got to put weight of your boot on the kick start and she will kick back i have checked the timing over and over with other people, also checked the advance & retire working all right it seems like it fires at the bottom of the stroke. I have checked the valve timing and that's seems alright. It starts and goes like the clappers. its just the kick back when retired. I have scratched my head that much i have gone bald so if you can help please it would much appreciated
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

IF it keeps kicking back it is too advanced. That's it. Run about 35 degrees full advance. Start with about half of it . Nev
toms.goss

Re: timing

Post by toms.goss »

nevhunter wrote:IF it keeps kicking back it is too advanced. That's it. Run about 35 degrees full advance. Start with about half of it . Nev
cheers Nev will give it ago
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

the VH engines are pretty good at kicking back if the spark is not in the right place. The 350 is usually much less of a problem in that regard, but anyhow the timing has to be right to perform as it should. Nev
ian.scott
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by ian.scott »

Have you set the timing correctly, identifying if the mag is advanced with the cable slack or tight ?

Ian
admin
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: timing

Post by admin »

high compression pistons can kick back way quite a way before TDC ...
PeterW
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by PeterW »

I'd double check the timing to make sure that when the lever is fully forward it sparks just before TDC & then watch as you pull the lever back to ensure it then fires later. You might have timed it on full retard by mistake (easy to do as the mag spins the wrong way) or have the wrong mag so pulling the lever back is advancing it, not retarding.