Rejuvenating worn crank seals AGAIN

garryeyles

Rejuvenating worn crank seals AGAIN

Post by garryeyles »

Dear All,

I originally experimented with repairing the dried out main seals in my Arrow by spraying a "seal repair" product via an atomiser into the intake at idle. Didn't work! Since then I have been adding a product called "Risolene main seal repair" to the fuel/oil mix at the rate of 7ml per litre. I also added 100ml of this product to the primary case. Since starting this practice I have covered 600km and the bike now starts easily either hot or cold and runs perfectly. Additionally, oil loss from the primary has markedly reduced and the bike now blows equal amounts of smoke from each exhaust. Previously the primary side exhaust blew a lot more at all speeds! Not saying that this is scientific in any way or that anyone else should do it. Simply that it seems to work for me on a bike that has very bad seals that are to be replaced soon anyway. I definitely would not do it to a machine that did not have major issues in this regard. :?

Cheers
Garry from Oz
Roger James
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Rejuvenating worn crank seals AGAIN

Post by Roger James »

Hello Garry,
Thank you for posting this message with the results of your experience of using the, Risolene Main Seal repair and apparently getting positive results.
When you do decide to change the crank seals, would you let us know the condition of the old seals once you've got them out and had a chance to examine them properly.
In recent years myself and a good friend who both run Leader/Arrows have been fitting new old stock double lipped centre seals but have experienced failures within a few hundred miles of being used, either the rubber hardening or, although the seal still appeared supple under close examination you could see numerous minute cracks in the lip area of the seals.
We dont use new old stock double lipped seals anymore in our rebuilds and both of us have also stopped using the old type Nitrile seals and use instead the dark red coloured Viton seals as preferred by those that race the Arrow. You cannot get Viton double lipped centre seals so two seals are used back to back just as Ariel did in the early years of production before changing to the double lipped seal that can be difficult to get out of the crankcase whereas the two seals back to back are easier to remove when they need changing.
All the best
Roger
garryeyles

Post by garryeyles »

Hi Roger,

I have purchased a set of new seals from Millhouse motorcycles. I don't think they are Viton but Millhouse claim that they use them in their own workshop with success. They are also all single lip seals. I believe the engine in my bike has the original mains and seals and top end. It has 43,000 miles on it and runs well at the moment. Sounds just like a two stroke should. I will post on this site the condition of the various components after the rebuild. In the meantime I intend to persevere with the Risolene experiment and while ever the engine continues to run well will delay the rebuild as I dont like pulling things apart that are not broken!! I am sure any other similar reputable brand of so called "seal renovating" product would be just as effective as Risolene, it is simply what is available at my local Supercheap Auto store - not sure if that chain operates in the UK?

Cheers
Garry