Electronic ignition on a 500 twin

General electrical problems
john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Electronic ignition on a 500 twin

Post by john.nash »

I am going to drop a twin engine into my twin frame, at some point.
I have no magneto and no magneto advance mechanism

I am looking around £200 for one that "might be ok" and less for one that deffo needs a rebuild.

However, I can buy one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/new-complete- ... 1c308f5583

for probably less than the original solution.
given the caveats with dependancy on a decent battery and charging system etc etc .. has anyone done it and is it a viable alternative ?

cheers
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
Steven.Carter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Steven.Carter »

Yes it certainly is, you'll need a pinion to go on the end of the mag replacement body that you get with the kit but then your away. It's a bit of wind up to get the the thing timed as you'll have to start the engine with the outer primary chain case removed and then use a stroke on the shock absorber. The thing will run for a hundred miles or so on 8 aa batteries so you shouldn't have to worry too much if you're charging system goes down

Stevev
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

The magneto on the twin is usually an OK thing, and should repair well unless it's been monstered. I'm not keen on the auto advance and would be quite happy to put on a cable operated advance. If you can get a good fibre gear I suppose it's ok. They certainly starteasy when set up as original. Nev