Banbury Run 2013

Anything about Ariels
adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Banbury Run 2013

Post by adrie.degraaff »

We have done the Banbury, my wife on a 1903 Ariel and me on 1908, we had a good run even sunshinehill was no problem and liked the setting very much.

When we signed in they where forgotten to thell us that it went on a puzzle sheet so we had the paper on a rope around ower neck, not easy on such motorcycles.
keith.hodgenia
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by keith.hodgenia »

I've done the last two years on an two stroke that looks like it should be put back in the hedge where I found it. We've passed a lot of shiny expensive stuff broken down at the side of the road. I'm still looking for a black ariel if anyone wants to part with one for reasonable money.
Wali.Badger.Taylor
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Wali.Badger.Taylor »

You win time trials by restricting your speed, that is not winning!
Talked to Huw Parsons after the run who got bored with trying to keep to 25mph and came home 25 mins early.
huw.parsons

Post by huw.parsons »

I was supposed to be doing 20 mph for 56 miles which was an elapsed time of 2 hours and 48 mins. I'd been lucky in starting no 7 out of 600 as the veteran goes well, but you need a clear road at junctions and hills
with no gearbox or clutch. I had geared the bike down by shortening the belt and narrowing the drive pulley thinking I would go round the course nice and sedately and have the added advantage of
getting up Sunrising hill with no problems. The next bike on the 56 mile route started at least 10 minutes behind me so I was completely on my own for the first two hours.Apart from the joy of charging up Sunrising it was really hard work trying to ride the bike at 20mph. She just wants to go faster. The only distance given was at 26.6 miles and I arrived there 7 mins early which was doubly depressing as I had just
been through the second random time check so was way too early. I geared the bike back up ( takes three minutes to 'change gear') and did the rest of the course at a more normal 25-30 mph. Beautiful countryside
and an absolute joy to see the fore cars,tricycles and especially the leaning tricycle chugging round the lanes. They are supposed to average an even more mind numbing 15 mph for about 2 and a half hours. No Sunrising though.

On the other timed events I have done like the Levis cup or Slievnamon in Ireland the speed is 25 mph which is much easier to maintain on the vet. I think if I get an entry for Banbury next year I may opt to do the non timed run and just go for a ride round. As Paul W says it was a super day out and we were very lucky with the weather. I cant think there is a better opportunity to see so many amazing pre 1931 bikes.
I love the rivalry between the Black Ariels and the Sunbeams, I don't think I've ever seen so many machines of both manufacturers together in a car park. The Broughs looked superior and the Ner a cars and assortment of small capacity machines was spectacular.
It was also great to meet so many friends from the VMCC and AOMCC and Wali, if you want to go round next year I'll lend you a bike.
paul.wirdnam
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by paul.wirdnam »

huw.parsons wrote:I think if I get an entry for Banbury next year I may opt to do the non timed run and just go for a ride round.
I think that is my attitude Huw. Never quite understood the attraction of the Timed event...I want to be able to stop at a pub, do a blast up Sunrising (I wish!) and sometimes just potter around at 35mph. It's just a nice day out.
Paul
Wali.Badger.Taylor

Post by Wali.Badger.Taylor »

I may well take you up on that offer Huw! I think it is cheating to do the run on a Black Ariel, I rode up there two up on my 1930 in second gear to spectate and wondered why all these people were waving at me.