Help needed on '49 500VH rebuild

Singles, twins and fours.
scott.renner

Help needed on '49 500VH rebuild

Post by scott.renner »

Hello all:

I am rebuilding a boxful of motor bits and am looking for the specifications for the valves and springs, as I am sure the mismatched parts in hand are not correct. Does anyone have the installed height, tip height and seated pressure? That would help greatly in moving forward. Also, it seems to my eye that the manual shows a "lash cap" that fits over the tip of the valve stem. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Scott
john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Help needed on '49 500VH rebuild

Post by john.nash »

Waller guide is here:
http://www.arielownersmcc.com/members ... /index.htm
Chapter 3 is singles.

I didn't think it mentioned the things you ask for on springs, but does give overall valve sizes.
Handily Draganfly provide a list of the uncompressed lengths. If yours are shorter, I guess renewal is required. the club spares scheme has these as well.

Valve end caps available through the club again or via Draganfly

John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
john.whiting

Post by john.whiting »

Scott, things like the installed height and seat pressure are for jap bikes, all this will vary wildly depending how pocketed your valve seats are and the length of your valves. The thing you need to check is the state of your cam and lifters,considerable wear is not uncommon.Good replacements are a matter of luck ,and very hard to find. You can get yours rebuilt.Generally the stronger the springs, the worse the wear.Valve caps are necessary as genuine valves have soft ends. If you fit valves with hardened tips, the caps are not needed.Some people use mushroom headed Triumph adjusters, but not as an alternative to caps.Decide what kind of revs you want, and fit springs accordingly.Dont fit strong springs for no reason.I personally use springs meant for the early 6354Perkins,but would never recommend anything.Regards John.
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

The top of your valve plus cap must be 4.5mm higher than 90 degrees to rocker ax center, how ever you do it.

The springs are related to the intended rev's.
scott.renner

Post by scott.renner »

That helps a bit, thanks to all.
The cam followers have a well defined flat spot across the width of the surface area which rides in the cam. That strikes me as intentional as opposed to being worn out. Am I correct? The cam looks quite good: any specs on the lift?

The owner won't be racing, but likely will do some two-up touring. He's thinking of adding a period correct sidecar.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

The flat is a wear phenomenon. Originally the contours are a pure radius. Tuners can vary the position (and shape) of the follower contour to vary the valve timing. Nev
john.whiting

Post by john.whiting »

Some years ago one of the mags published the factory drawings for the valve gear. The lifters should have a 1/2 in radius on the cam contact . If your wear is more than say 40 thou then the case hardening is worn thru.This can easily be tested with a small file. Regards John.