NH Camshaft end-float

Singles, twins and fours.
edbroadbridge

NH Camshaft end-float

Post by edbroadbridge »

I have scanned through all the literature that I have but can find no reference to camshaft end float. I have re-assembled my NH cam and followers with the original shims and have now measured the end float. It is 17 thou. To me that looks excessive.
Can anyone give me an exact figure?
pete.collings
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by pete.collings »

In the past I have adjusted camshaft end float by carefully tapping the outer camshaft bush (with a box spanner or similar that will not damage the bush end) inwards until the end float has been taken up, but the cam still turns freely. It may be necessary to remove the inner timing cover and tap the bush back out a little if it moves too far inboard and the cam cannot be turned easily.

I do try to shim up the cam followers, with the cam and followers in place tighten the inner timing chest screws fully, and then put your fingertips in the follower cups and try to move the followers back and fore along the follower pin. This gives an idea of how much play there is, vary the shim thickness until there is minimal end float with free action of the followers. You need to rotate the cam to check that the follower action does not stiffen up as the followers are raised and lowered. It is better to have a little too much clearance than a stiff follower action. The follower pin is an odd size, just below 1/2", but I have used shims with 1/2" ID so long as there is some end float.
Shimming the follower can help reduce one of the rattles from the cam area, using a cam with a silencing ramp also helps.
robjameson

Re: NH Camshaft end-float

Post by robjameson »

My vh had the same, I shimmed it at the crankcase bush . Draganfly sell shims in 5 or 10 thou, I bought a selection of both and shimmed until it felt right.

I don't know a precise end float figure though I'm afraid.

Hope it helps.

Rob
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1954 Ariel KH
1948 Ariel 4G with 1920's Ariel Sidecar/Triumph Chassis
AOMCC Twin Spares Organiser
edbroadbridge

Post by edbroadbridge »

Thanks Pete and Rob.
I had already seen the Draganfly catalogue and the shims but thought some one would have a figure like 5 to 8 thou. I wonder if the new gaskets are thicker??
Ed
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

As the motor gets hotter the end float gets more so a few thou would be enough. I'm not real happy with shims as they can get mauled up. Make sure the inner bush is real tight in the case or if it floats inwards the flywheel will contact it as it has no flange to stop that happening. End float can make noises but I wouldn't bother correcting it unless it was more than 15 thou and even a lot more won't do any damage. Nev
john.whiting
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by john.whiting »

The pivot is 12mm.I don't think endfloat is important,provided the mag chain doesn't run misaligned.Bikes with rotating tappets make a noise with cam endfloat as the cam oscillates.Obviously this doesn't happen with an Ariel.Regards John.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Some of the early type rockers get a fair bit of wear on the shaft they pivot on. This wear and the wear on the timing gears is where most of the rattles that some ariels make comes from. If you spend a bit of effort getting these fits good the engine will sound a lot nicer. A bit of piston slap cold is always in order, but the rocker type followers are under a big load especially in the VH with standard (heavy) springs. Nev