Insurance Renewal

Bikes or not. Whatever
robjameson
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Insurance Renewal

Post by robjameson »

I had my renewal notice through the post yesterday, £83 for the VH from Peter James. Since this is about a tenner more than last year I though i'd better check and see how competitive they were - these are the results:

MCE Insurance (I did some business with these guys a few months ago and they assured me they were very competitive) - £403 with a £550 excess! Ha ha
Footman James - were very reluctant as i'm under 30, refused cover on other bikes and would not allow a second rider - £186 (also, I discovered that one of their underwriters refuses to insure my postcode - worrying)
Carole Nash - Seemed a good policy, no excess and great cover both UK and overseas - £152, reduced to £107 when I told them my renewal quote.

So it looks like, for me at least, Peter James remain the most competitive and best all rounder.

Now all I need to do is get them to explain the increase and see if they can drop it!
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1954 Ariel KH
1948 Ariel 4G with 1920's Ariel Sidecar/Triumph Chassis
AOMCC Twin Spares Organiser
stu.sharratt

Post by stu.sharratt »

Hi Rob
What postcode did you get a refusal on? I'm in DE24.
Just renewed my policy for Honda VTR1000 & Husaberg with Carole Nash & checked how much extra to add my VH500 when it's finished, it added about £20 to the premium. I'll most likely sell the Honda when the Ariels ready, the sportsbike thing doesn't really float my boat anymore.
robjameson

Post by robjameson »

DE23, Littleover believe it or not! I used to have a ninja, in my experience, it was better to have a classic policy and put a modern bike on as opposed to vice versa. When I was 26 the insurance was £300 for both bikes - just the kawasaki alone on a modern policy was a minimum of £750. I have no idea whether they have closed that loophole by now.
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1954 Ariel KH
1948 Ariel 4G with 1920's Ariel Sidecar/Triumph Chassis
AOMCC Twin Spares Organiser