Bikes or not. Whatever
admin
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Improving Virtual AOMCC

Post by admin »

Ok.
Let's have it.

What would prove most useful to create/add/improve, to support you lot ... ??

Bear in mind that:
  1. I have more than a fulltime job, bikes, family, etc
  2. My coding skills have atrophied somewhat, now I don't do it for living (for a long time)
  3. Some things are just going to be plain impossible

In the plus side, we do have a "Brenton" (no club should be without one !)
barry.swanson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Improving Virtual AOMCC

Post by barry.swanson »

...you mean apart from a sponsership arrangement with Richard Branson so overseas members can travel to AGMs ? :idea: :idea:

...but seriously...I like looking at peoples photo albums, can they be made easier to navigate and add to?
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

Hmm, thanks John, but having a "Brenton" isn't a huge bonus in the programming department.

The thing I think we most need is a decent search function. We've got so many posts now. However, I'm not sure how easy it is to "find a string within a string in php...
I did find this http://www.sphider.eu/ - but it doesn't look a lot like just adding google..
There is a howto here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzuuh6wSijo ,but the only bit I really understood was the advert before it..
No is an acceptable answer!

I'd love to see some more focus on spoken histories and short video's.
I bought an $12 (delivered, really!) bike helmet video camera - ebay # 251000687718 and plan to try it out. I'm not sure how, but something that makes it easy for people to upload film and video - like an upload page or something.

I am happy with what we have - but you did ask!
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
barry.swanson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re:

Post by barry.swanson »

[quote="brenton.roy"]

The thing I think we most need is a decent search function.

... in a similar theme, improved topic location in the repository would be nice.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

You might consider putting in a "likes" function or "approve" . Gives an indication that what you are fronting up with is what some want. I think the forum is a good one. How you collate all the useful stuff seems a chore. Judgements would have to be made. It would have to be done manually. Nev
john.whiting

Post by john.whiting »

This forum is lightyears better than the Norton owners forum, which is professionally run at great expense and totally hopeless.Posts turn out blank,previous posts are repeated over and over,creating an avalanche effect,and no pictures. Best of all ,lately some posts appear in foreign languages,even Chinese.Unbelieving,as Con the fruiterer would say.I don't think collating info will be easy when a post titled Aussie Rules,ends up being about speedway bikes,not aerial(ariel?)ping pong.So keep up the good work.Regards John.
chris jane

Post by chris jane »

How about putting the last post at the top so if you are following a topic you do not have to go to the last page to see new posts,if this makes sense.
barry.swanson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re:

Post by barry.swanson »

john.whiting wrote:I don't think collating info will be easy when a post titled Aussie Rules,ends up being about speedway bikes,not aerial(ariel?)ping pong.So keep up the good work.Regards John.

...so maybe an improved search capability...type in the word "speedway" for instance and those threads that interest you could be found even if they are buried under another topic heading.
I started that thread intending it to be litehearted and didn't mind which direction people took it...but as you say, there is some good speedway info in there that will be very hard to search for in the future.
barry.swanson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by barry.swanson »

...just had another thought, what would be good would be another button up there beside edit. quote etc called "topic", press that and get a list of subjects eg speedway, girder forks, oil pumps, what ever, and the post could be added to tthe relevant list.
Then anyone wanting posts about speedway could go straight to it.
Vincent has just started his "Handy Sods" topic for handy hints which is a great idea, my concern is that in 10 years time someone needing help fitting springs will have to know to seach under "Handy sods"...slim chance.
Last edited by barry.swanson on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
admin

Post by admin »

The issue is that we are running PHPBB for the forum
My coding isn't good enough to edit the forum code heavily - although I can run any mods that are out there.

I wonder if I can create a youtube channel for the AOMCC; where we can collaborate ? Seems silly to re-invent the wheel