MODEL VH OIL PUMP AND OILWAYS

Singles, twins and fours.
john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak

MODEL VH OIL PUMP AND OILWAYS

Post by john.nash »

<posted for Peter Spratt>

I am rebuilding a 1958 VH. A silly thing to do, for I do not have the knowledge (or ability?) and do not really know what I am doing! Nevertheless, it is nearly completed. Only nearly, for I have hit a problem which has brought my ignorance into the foreground. It concerns the oil pump and oilways.

I have had discussions with somebody at Draganfly. Whoever I spoke to was extremely helpful, but because I was not able to fully describe the problem over the phone, I am not much nearer to a solution.

Right here goes.

Referring to the inner case drawing in Section 15 of Draganfly’s Spare Parts Catalogue. There is an oilway identified on the drawing by the part numbers 2150-41 thru 2220-29. I believe there is a small spring which fits in this oilway. I have the spring and have also bought a new one (part no. 2154A-41) from Draganfly. However the new one is 1/16 inch longer than the old. I assume that this is simply a matter of age. I also bought a small plug (part no. 2150-41) 1/4 inch in diameter with two raised shoulders). This does not seem to fit anywhere at all. The ¼ inch bit seems to be correct, but wherever I try to put it, the raised shoulders stand proud from the surface. As there is a spring, I assume we have a non return-valve, which surely means there should be some ball bearings around, if so – where and what size?
innercase.jpg

The other worrying bit is that my inner timing case seems to have one more oilway than that shown on the drawing in the parts catalogue.
I would be very glad if there was somebody out there who could point me in the correct direction.

Many thanks

Peter Spratt
john.nash

Post by john.nash »

innercase1.jpg
I'm not an expert (one will be along soon) but I think what you're describing goes in where I circled it.

You are missing the 3/16 ball bearing (draganfly part No: S9-1). You can get one from any bicycle shop though.
Spring in first, then bearing and then plug. The plug can be a pig; wiggle it in with long nosed pliers

HOWEVER, I am aware that this plug was dropped for some years and then came back.
I also thought that they had one in the return and feed, for some years ??
Like I said, I'm still working towards my anorak...

More information here:
http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/viewt ... ?f=4&t=177

Did I get it right ? Anyone ?
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
pete.collings
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by pete.collings »

I believe the non return plug/ball was dropped for a few years, but returned for the later models.
If there is a problem getting the shouldered plug fully home, it is likely that the crank feed quill has (been?) moved backwards. Warming and gentle tapping can move it out, if you are worried about it coming loose remove it completely, fit the plug, put the ball/spring in place, and tap the quill back in place after smearing with loctite or a similar retainer. It only needs to be far enough back to ensure the quill will feed well into the end of the timing side mainshaft, the spring is more of a non return valve rather than a pressure relief valve. The centrifugal action of the crank will draw the oil feed out to the big end, so no great feed pressure is needed.
Paul Slootheer

Re: MODEL VH OIL PUMP AND OILWAYS

Post by Paul Slootheer »

Maybe this will help... I will try to point out by photograph.
As far as I can see you have the same amount of ‘holes’ in your inner timing case
as the one on the photo I attached.
Of course the two marked X are for the ¼ Withworth bolts to hold your pump.
A stands for the hole which supplies your pump with oil from your oiltank
B stands for the feed to your Bigend
C stands for the hole what does correspond with your oil return pipe in the crankcase (please don’t omit the circular gasket for sealing!)
D stands for the hole what your oilpump uses to bring back oil into your oiltank!

As for the extra bal, spring and plug: this was, as far as I know, an extra safety valve (back-up)in case the delivery side of the pump to the bigend failed which can happen if the ball in the pump gets jammed on a metal partical and loses its function or if the spring brakes, etc. There were quite some years that Ariel did’nt made use of this item…

Regards, Paul ;)
Attachments
ArielOil.jpg
Peter.Spratt

Re: MODEL VH OIL PUMP AND OILWAYS

Post by Peter.Spratt »

This post is simply to express my gratitude for your very prompt responses. I was hoping to reply and say all is now well. However, having taken the quill out, all sort of panics which are nothing to do with motor bikes suddenly hit me and I have had to leave the bike well alone for the time being. I will report back later.