200 colt

bsmart

Re: 200 colt

Post by bsmart »

hi Paul

thanks for the info. i figured they were from a bsa but was unsure what one as the piston seams to be the same size as the colts one at around 60 mm , as the colt had a smaller barrel i was a bit confused anyways at least there are some spare parts that may be usable and that might be handy by the looks of it :lol:

manage to get the oilpump drive gear off the shaft , i was a little worried about this as the back of the gear isnt flat so the puller wants to slide off , i ended up using a clamp to hold the legs of the puller together and well it worked :o

also took the head to my work and used the blaster to clean it up , the grid is pretty mild so should be ok , well it cant be anyworse than what it was like :lol:

no cracks to be seen but i will have to fit a couple of helicoils but no drama , i do have a spare head but that has a broken fin :cry:

will also have to find out who can fit hardened valve seats for use with unleaded. if its even possible to do :?:

bsmart

Post by bsmart »

also cleaned up the rocker cover , using an alloy cleaner turns out theres a crack in it spreading from the bolt hole , so i will have to used the fluffy one instead :lol:

since i had the cleaner fluid out i wanted to see what the gearbox face plate would come up like as it too was very fluffy , and well its not good news as it also has a crack in it :cry: and also it not in that a good a shape overall

now i need to wait untill some parts arrive and get my mate over to inspect the play on the big end bearing . so i wont crack the cases open till he comes past

till next time
bsmart

Post by bsmart »

some parts arrived today :D . but been so busy at work i aint had tme to carry on the cleaning . but i did get my mechanic mate to have a look at the big end and he rekons its good to go so time to crack open the crank for cleaning .

on the side i did get 5 mins to make a valve spring compressor , fit helicoils into the head and speak to an engineering shop with regards to fitting hardened valve seats , mmm not cheap at 120-140 quid . i think as the bike wont be getting that much heavy throttle action i will use some high octane fuel and some addatives :D

bsmart

Post by bsmart »

spend half a day in the garage to day cleaning stuff , drifted out the valve guides from the head that i had to put helicoils into but i sat it on the the old barrel that it came of and the faces dont meet to well , rekon there a high point in the centre , i did go over the face with some 1000 grit wet and dry cause i would guess that at some point someone had "cleaned" off the od head gasket with a flap or grinding wheel and the face was a bit pitted , but i never removed that much :?: .

i suppose the decition is do i use the other head :?: it has a broken fin but all the threads are good , and it seams to be a better matting face , but i am unsure how much play the head gasket takes up . it seams pretty thick but i would want to risk stripping the threads my self

bsmart

Post by bsmart »

well been a while .

turn out the head made its own mind up , the exhaust valve was literaly worn away , didnt notice till i started to grind int the new valves and the valve stuck in th guide and the only way to free it was to push the guide back ????? so i have to use the head with the broken fin . its ok i have some belzona super E that i will make a fin from , itl be kina cosmetic but better than a great big gap .

other news is that i got all the new bushes pressed into the cases , unfortunately none of my engineering mates have reamers thats close to the sizes required ! , i have absalutely no idea how to open them out , i tried using a 3 legged honer tool that lasted one bush and then fell to bits .i could put them into the lathe but now they are fitted thats a little tricky . also theres not much info on clearances but have read that its better to fit the new bush and grind the crank shaft to fit ?

anyways the lad i need is on snow clearing duty so itll be a few days before the engine make progress .

so long suckers :D
bsmart

Post by bsmart »

thought i would update a little , been working on another project , finally had a go at sizing the bronze bushes , attempt 1 i used a honing tool as there wasnt much adjustment required or so i thought . turned out i had taken too much out of the main bearing and when my mate appeared with some adjustable reamers it was apparent that i had buggered it up , so i ordered another set , this tiime i used the reamer and also done them before they were pressed in. not sure if its true but i was told that when they are fitted they compress. will find out when they are fitted .