Battery type

General electrical problems
LesGreen

Battery type

Post by LesGreen »

Good afternoon, would someone let me know the battery size , type and best place to get one from please. VH500 1956, while I hunt for a wiring diagram. Guessing at a 12 v system.
Many thanks in advance.
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Battery type

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

HI Les i think and use is the GEL battery's I think you need a 11 or 12 amp h i get mine of E BAY i find you can get good ones a lot cheaper on their 8-)
LesGreen

Post by LesGreen »

Great thanks, as mine is missing you you know the dimensions? Thanks
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

HI Les i think if you look on drags site it will tell you the sizes of the battery box and the battery and with a GEL battery you do not need a vent pipe and no leaking and they hold their charge a lot longer :D
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Drags and Feked should be able to sell you a battery box (ie original Lucas style) and batteries to go in it (I got batteries+box from Feked, it has 2 6v batteries that can be connected in series or parallel, for 6 or 12 volts)

HTH

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
admin

Post by admin »

If you are using a "period" battery box to house the modern battery, then the exact internal dimensions will vary according to the type of box and you will need to measure.

If you use an AGM type, then it doesn't care about it's orientation and I have some mounted on their end in my boxes.
Like Johnny, I have found that the AGM stuff lasts alot better than the small lead acid equivalents

Not connected with them, but I use tanya batteries off EBAY as they are well priced and arrive quickly:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/tayna-batter ... 7675.l2559

You will need to know the number, of the battery, unfortunately to order.
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

HI if you are going to buy a battery box do not get a rubber one they are to soft and the lid dose not fit right wen you fit the clamp to hold the battery box on i get a hard type box and they are a lot better :!:
LesGreen

Post by LesGreen »

Very useful advice all, thanks muchly
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

I've seen a mould presumably in plaster, made, and done with fibreglass and matt black paint. Same for the lid. Looks perfect and strong enough to use the original clamp set up. The wall thickness is about 1/4 inch giving max room for an AGM on it's end. Nev
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

HI That is the type of battery box i have now i did make the mistake of getting a rubber one first but it was useless and to soft :!: :(