sq4 magneto instalation

Bikes or not. Whatever
Henning G
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

sq4 magneto instalation

Post by Henning G »

Hello,
I hope someone can enlightened me regarding magneto installation on my 1939 sq4. It seems like I’m missing a kind of oil seal holder, where the magneto axel comes through the engine casting. I found these two pictures in a workshop manual, clearly showing a kind of seal holder.
Regards
Henning
thumbnail_20221217_112349.jpg
thumbnail_20221217_112257.jpg
thumbnail_20220810_193829.jpg
thumbnail_20220810_193814.jpg
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: sq4 magneto instalation

Post by paul.jameson »

Your crankcase has been modified by a previous owner. I suspect the 4 holes were for screws to hold a plate onto the crankcase with a lip seal held in the plate. I would imagine that the plate and seal would be very thin. The original arrangement, which works quite well, has a sort of "top hat" arrangement inside the timing case and is a close fit over the shoulder of the magneto sprocket. That shoulder has a scroll cut into it which prevents the oil from exiting along the magneto shaft.

I will see if I can find a photo to assist in your understanding.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
Henning G
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Henning G »

Hi Paul,
Great news. I thought it was something like that, because my magneto sprocket has the oil scroll, but I thought there was a kind of sealing, rubber or felt. A photo and maybe some measurement would be great…
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

Your best bet would be to order a copy of drawing ET1001 from Roger Gwynn. This has all the information you need on it.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
Henning G
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Henning G »

Hi Paul THANKS a lot for your help.. I will mail him. And I wish you all a Mary Christmas and a Happy new year..
john.davies
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by john.davies »

Hi Henning.
When I first started up my 1945 SQ after restoration I had a problem with a major oil leak coming from the back of the timing case where the mag armature enters. As you show in your first picture taken from a workshop manual there is a boss that protrudes into the timing case that is supposed to allow the mag pinion scroll to draw the oil back in.
sq4 mag lip.jpg
As you can see in the poor quality picture of my engine before the restoration it had been repaired at some time but still allowed oil out. Fellow member, Paul Wirdnam, suggested using an oil seal so I purchased a 26mm by 20mm by 5mm oil seal, we reamed out the boss to fit, machined off the scroll on the pinion to fit the 20mm hole and put it back together. Hey presto no more oil leak, well from that point anyway. Here is the link to Paul's listing of his restoration blog when he did the same to his 1939 SQ4.

http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/viewtop ... 616#p67616
Image 1931 Ariel VB31, 1935 Triumph 5/3 project, 1946 Ariel Square 4, 1952 Norton Model 7, 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash, 1954 Ariel VH
Henning G
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Henning G »

Hi John, Thanks for the link. That looks really efficient and durable. Great wat to deal wit it..
Regards Henning
Bob.Murphy

Post by Bob.Murphy »

Henning,

I'm curious - what is that car in the background (looks beautifully restored) ??

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH
Henning G
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Henning G »

Hi Bob, Its my 1935 Rolls Royce. Spend 4600 hours on it, was a complete wreck when II got it. Now I’m restoring a 1939 Ariel sq4, same quality… :P
Attachments
IMG_20210822_154558 (1).jpg
Bob.Murphy

Post by Bob.Murphy »

Wow - That is quite something.

That restoration is a credit to you, I'm looking forward to seeing the Square Four on completion I think it will be spectacular.

The house is in lovely order as well (I'm embarrassed when I look at my old Farm House), how do you do it ?

All the best and have a lovely Christmas.

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH