VHA cylinder liner ?

Bikes or not. Whatever
Ian.Taylor
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

VHA cylinder liner ?

Post by Ian.Taylor »

My spare VHA cylinder needs a new liner.
Drags says it could take a year to have stock in.
I tried the Single spares and John Budgren.
Westwood needs specs which i don't have
I have also searched the internet with no luck

Does anyone sell a ready to purchase liner for the Alloys cylinders?
Thanks
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: VHA cylinder liner ?

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi Ian, give ALPHA Bearings a ring on 01384-255151 they do liners as well they maybe able to help you
dave.owen

Post by dave.owen »

20221124_232655.jpg
Liner code from hepolite book
Fs2305
AOMCC Treasurer
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

You may have to true up your alloy barrell and make an oversize ID sleeve for it to do the job properly. It has a flange at the top so as it can't move down but needs to be a good fit for cooling. The iron is usually spun cast. An old suitable sized wet sleeve would be ok to make it from. Needs a good finish on the OD for conductivity. Nev
Vincent.vanGinneke

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Last Feb. I ordered from Westwood WCL22B at 53,- GBP incl VAT and carriage for my '28 500cc.
no lip at the top, for a iron barrel no problem, and I would guess also o.k. for a alloy barrel.
If it sinks then the tolerance is out !
Westwood cylinder liner.jpg
Ian.Taylor

Post by Ian.Taylor »

Thanks everyone
Westwood says they can't help unless they have the specs.
No luck elsewhere.

My next option is to see if one of the machine shops here can make a new liner & fit.
dave.owen

Post by dave.owen »

20221125_182659.jpg
Spec from hepolite catalogue
AOMCC Treasurer
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

If I'm reading that Hepolite data correctly, a zero interference fit of the liner in the cylinder is acceptable? (Machine bore to +000 -0005)
I thought liners always needed a small interference fit to start with - maybe I'm wrong (and I've not checked my 'Tuning for Speed' bible).

However, alloy barrel liner 'special material' and with no material spec (although again good old 'Tuning for Speed' might have something to say on the matter of liners for alloy barrels....).

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
david.anderson

Post by david.anderson »

Ian
While I have not been able to find my info on sleeves, from memory with an austenitic cast liner a minimum .004” interference fit is necessary with an alloy cylinder and .0015” with a cast iron cylinder. However Westwood supply spun cast iron or spun ductile cast iron which may have a different expansion rate to austenitic cast iron. Westwood should be able to advise the expansion rate relative to austenitic cast iron and if there should be an allowance in the interference fit.
As the quoted figure for the bore in the hepolite catalogue is 84.8mm the liner outside dia should be + .004 on this (austenitic liner). The Westwood WCL20FL liner appears to be the only suitable one. It is 77mm id 86mm od and 228 long with a large top flange. It is an easy job for any machine shop to machine this liner to your bore size + .004" ( the liner should be removed from your bore to double check the bore size), machine the flange, fit the liner after heating in an oven and then bore to size.
I have however seen many sleeves move, particularly if the engine suffers a nip up or seizure. For that reason I always have my sleeves pinned at the bottom of the liner below the ring line. Pinning is generally done with a tapered brass plug that is peened over. I have also had a liner crack around the top at the spigot line so I also pin alloy cylinder liners at the bottom.
David
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi there is a coating that can be done to rebuild the bore back up and then you hone it to size i had it done a few years ago to one of my all alloy cosworth race engine