Putting Huntmaster on centerstand question

Bikes or not. Whatever
Paul Helleur

Re: Putting Huntmaster on centerstand question

Post by Paul Helleur »

will_curry wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:52 pm Welcome to the forum.

I had to think how I do it but I've always considered the swinging arm Ariels to be one of
the easier British bikes to put on the centre stand.

I stand at the drive side of the bike and take the left handlebar with my left hand and grip
the frame of the bike at the back under the rear mudguard. I push the centre stand down
to the ground with my left foot. I then lift with my right arm and lean to my right. The back
of the bike comes up and the bike rolls back and onto the centre stand.

Is your issue getting your foot onto the centre stand?
The foot on the centre stand is small, sort of rounded and awkwardly placed. But I get my left foot on it and apply a small amount of downward pressure. Not ideal. I have some other British bikes and they all have welded arms or extensions on the stand for that purpose. They are all relatively easy get on the stand. Will, thanks much for your advice. I'm going to try again and improve my technique using the methods you have described.
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by will_curry »

Paul,

You shouldn't need to push hard down on the centre stand at all. All the left foot does
is stop the stand from skidding on the ground. It's the lifting and pulling with the right
arm which roll the bike onto the stand via the action of the curved foot of the centre stand.
will_curry

Post by will_curry »

Paul,

The feet on centre stands are easily damaged and some repairs are not as good
as original.
image_8.JPG
This shows the foot on a good stand just as it touches the ground

image_9.JPG
This shows the stand supporting the bike

The best way to get the bike off the stand is to do it from the side as if you were putting
the bike on the stand. I use my right foot this time to stop the stand from skidding on the ground
and to stop it banging back up - there should be a bump stop but this saves it from wear.

The Ariel centre stand is robust enough to support the weight of the bike but it will quickly wilt
and wear if the rider sits on the bike when it's on its stand. Standing astride the bike and
pushing on the handlebars to rock the bike off its stand isn't good either.

A stand in reasonable condition will support the bike with the front wheel on the ground and
the rear wheel at least inch or more off the ground.
Paul Helleur

Post by Paul Helleur »

will_curry wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:13 pm Paul,

as original.
image_8.JPG

image_9.JPG

The best way to get the bike off the stand is to do it from the side as if you were putting
the bike on the stand. I use my right foot this time to stop the stand from skidding on the ground
and to stop it banging back up - there should be a bump stop but this saves it from wear.

The Ariel centre stand is robust enough to support the weight of the bike but it will quickly wilt
and wear if the rider sits on the bike when it's on its stand. Standing astride the bike and

A stand in reasonable condition will support the bike with the front wheel on the ground and

as original.
image_8.JPG

image_9.JPG

as original.

image_8.JPG

image_9.JPG

Thanks again Will. Your information is very helpful. From the pictures you sent the feet will need a some repair as they are not as round along the bottom and along their full length as you have shown. They have an indentation in them at the bottom/back. Thanks much, all very helpful !
Mick D
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I hve to agree with most of what's been said above, I find my FH to be the easiest of my classic twins to put onto the centre stand. I use much the same technique as others though I've recently changed from my left hand on the handlebar to under the front of the dual seat, (I find it easier).

It's worth noting that the feet on the stand are designed to gently lift the bike as the stand rotates and as such the stand can be fitted the wrong way around. In my opinion the stand should be fitted as in the photo below:
Centre Stand.png
Centre Stand.png (325.58 KiB) Viewed 412 times
Regards Mick
Paul Helleur

Post by Paul Helleur »

Mick D wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:27 am Hi

I hve to agree with most of what's been said above, I find my FH to be the easiest of my classic twins to put onto the centre stand. I use much the same technique as others though I've recently changed from my left hand on the handlebar to under the front of the dual seat, (I find it easier).

It's worth noting that the feet on the stand are designed to gently lift the bike as the stand rotates and as such the stand can be fitted the wrong way around. In my opinion the stand should be fitted as in the photo below:

Centre Stand.png

Regards Mick
Thanks Mick. Your photo shows me that the feet on my stand will need some work. They will have to be rounded more and likely built up a bit. There is a flat spot on them, sort of an indentation on the bottom towards the back. This is very helpful information. Paul
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

The standard feet are pretty thin - there's a lot of weld in mine.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Paul Helleur

Post by Paul Helleur »

simon.holyfield wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:01 pm The standard feet are pretty thin - there's a lot of weld in mine.
Thanks for this Simon. It's become apparent to me that the feet on my center-stand will need some repairing .. to make them function properly ; without a lot of strain.