Putting Huntmaster on centerstand question

Bikes or not. Whatever
Paul Helleur

Putting Huntmaster on centerstand question

Post by Paul Helleur »

Hello everyone,
I am a new member and this is my first time on the forum. I'm having a lot of trouble putting my '56 Huntmaster on it's centerstand. The springs, the centerstand and the shocks all appear to be correct. I have some other old Britts and there is no problem with doing this . But they all have a foot piece on the centerstand that allows you to apply force downward making it a relatively easy job. For me it always takes a helper to get this done.
Please advise how to do this on the Huntmaster model.
Thanks very much to you all !
Paul H.
Ontario , Canada
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Putting Huntmaster on centerstand question

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi and welcome to the forum and the AOMCC , i find it is a bit of a knack to get it on the centre stand i have fitted a fold up peg to the top of the frame near the rear wheel so i pull and lift on it and and pull on the handlebars at the same time pressing down the stand which has made it a lot better :D
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by will_curry »

Welcome to the forum.

I had to think how I do it but I've always considered the swinging arm Ariels to be one of
the easier British bikes to put on the centre stand.

I stand at the drive side of the bike and take the left handlebar with my left hand and grip
the frame of the bike at the back under the rear mudguard. I push the centre stand down
to the ground with my left foot. I then lift with my right arm and lean to my right. The back
of the bike comes up and the bike rolls back and onto the centre stand.

Is your issue getting your foot onto the centre stand?
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi i have also welded a little peg on the stand to put your foot on the sand to push it down
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Paul
Maybe see Jim Haydock's posts towards the end of this thread (started by Johnny I think!) - he's made a couple of easy mods :
http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/viewtop ... 7&start=10

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
Paul Helleur

Post by Paul Helleur »

JohnnyBeckett wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:41 pm hi and welcome to the forum and the AOMCC , i find it is a bit of a knack to get it on the centre stand i have fitted a fold up peg to the top of the frame near the rear wheel so i pull and lift on it and and pull on the handlebars at the same time pressing down the stand which has made it a lot better :D
Thanks Johnny. That sounds like a very good idea. Think I have a spare fold up peg in a box somewhere..
will_curry

Post by will_curry »

If you pull on the handlebars don't be tempted to lift as well - there is no need
as the front wheel will roll back and should stay on the ground when the bike is
on the stand. All the left hand needs to do is steady the bars and stop them
from trying to turn which they will do.
Paul Helleur

Post by Paul Helleur »

will_curry wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:17 pm If you pull on the handlebars don't be tempted to lift as well - there is no need
as the front wheel will roll back and should stay on the ground when the bike is
on the stand. All the left hand needs to do is steady the bars and stop them
from trying to turn which they will do.
Thanks Will. More good advice.
Paul Helleur

Post by Paul Helleur »

Simon.Gardiner wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:13 pm Paul
Maybe see Jim Haydock's posts towards the end of this thread (started by Johnny I think!) - he's made a couple of easy mods :
http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/viewtop ... 7&start=10

SG
These mods look good. Thanks Simon. The extension on the foot looks like it would be very helpful in getting a bit of downward pressure.
Right now that little round foot; partly under the bike.. doesn't provide much. Thanks again.
Paul Helleur

Post by Paul Helleur »

JohnnyBeckett wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:06 pm hi i have also welded a little peg on the stand to put your foot on the sand to push it down
Thanks Johnny. That sounds like it would make things a lot easier.