1939 lucas 1130 rear light

Bikes or not. Whatever
Henning G
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

1939 lucas 1130 rear light

Post by Henning G »

Hello,
I’m restoring my 1939 SQ4, and I wonder if someone knows if the Lucas 1130 rear light was chromed or painted black from new, and the same regarding saddle springs. Thanks a lot
;)
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: 1939 lucas 1130 rear light

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Both were black, the saddle springs were not chromed until the advent of the barrel shaped springs in 1950.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
dave.owen

Post by dave.owen »

1130, also used as MG side light.
Needs modification to create aperture to light number plate
AOMCC Treasurer
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Thanks Roger. Most people seem to chrome the springs and a few other things but original is nice. I think the red "glass?" has a dull plated finish. (Cadmium?) small bezel around it. What do you think? Nev
david.anderson

Post by david.anderson »

While I agree that the springs are not depicted as being chrome in 49 and 50 I have an original 49 seat from my 49VH which has chrome springs and was supplied as such. I also have the 1950 seat that my father purchased to fit to his 49VH (due to the increased ride height). The 50 seat is not barrel spring and was chrome originally. 51 here for barrel springs. I believe that this is a difference between home market and Australian export bikes. Other differences that I have noted are post war the VH tank badges were black background whereas home market were red. Pre war VH australian export bikes were however red background. Another difference is that the tool box knob on Australian export bikes was the earlier raised centre knob was used post war for a few years at least rather than the bottle knob.
David
Henning G
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Henning G »

THANKS a Lot for all your answeres,Great help. No cence to chrome if not original...
Henning