Removing & Installing Sq4 motor Part 1

Bikes or not. Whatever
chris.shearwood
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Removing & Installing Sq4 motor Part 1

Post by chris.shearwood »

The following describes a method I came up with to make installation and removal of my 1946 Square Four motor into and out of the frame easier.

The first time I tried to install the motor in the frame I started by attaching the crankcase to the engine plates and the frame, with the pistons on the connecting rods, and then trying to lower the cylinders onto the pistons while a friend eased the rings into the cylinders. Result: a broken ring, some cursing and a three week wait to get another ring from England.

The second time I had the crankcase supported on a table, again with the pistons on the rods, but this time with the barrel hanging from the ceiling by using a rope and pulley system. This was better than my first attempt as the need for large muscles to lower that heavy barrel onto the rings was eliminated although two people were still required. Once the barrel was bolted to the crankcase the motor was flipped on its side onto an old mattress and then the frame was placed onto the motor and the engine plates then attached. This too was OK but the frame had nothing else installed onto it. Of course if the wheels, gearbox etc., are already installed this method is not practical.

To remove the motor from the frame I first fabricated a piece of wood to correspond to the bottom of a spare crankcase I have and attached the wood to a cheap floor jack.
1A.jpg

Then I cut a couple of pieces of plywood with a couple of bolts through one of them such that I could bolt the smaller piece of plywood onto the open end of the "U" shaped piece. With the two pieces bolted together they fit the contour of the bottom of the spare crankcase. I marked the wood where the oil screen cylindrical part of the crankcase should sit.
2A.jpg

Then the jack, with the small wooden piece attached to it, was placed under the bike.
3A.jpg
Pumping the jack up a bit removed the weight from the engine plates allowing their removal.
4A.jpg

Then two half inch drill rods were passed under the motor and their ends supported. No need to have them perfectly level.
5A.jpg
The U-shaped piece of plywood was placed on the rods and slid under the motor. Note the clamps holding the drill rods in place.
5A.jpg
To be continued
1946 4G and 1951 VH