"Glamour Red" RAL code

Bikes or not. Whatever
Les H

"Glamour Red" RAL code

Post by Les H »

Hi all. Straightforward question... What's the RAL code for the nearest equivalent to Glamour Red please?... :)
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: "Glamour Red" RAL code

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi look on drags site they have all the colors listed, or look at RS motorbike paint LTD
Les H

Post by Les H »

Thanks Johnny. I've tried to find info on the Drags site but the paint links me to the RS site and no other info anywhere there on Drags... On the RS site, the only red, it seems, for glamour Red is Cherokee Red...which looks like this photo. I guess my one is a similar colour but it's on a VH. Obviously done out of preference as not sure if VH were ever this colour?
13744686.jpg
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi Les if you go to a good paint suppliers that mixes paint with a part with the color on you need and they will scan it and match the exact color and mix it for you, we do it a lot to match old colors when doing a panel repair
Les H

Post by Les H »

Thanks Johnny. Yes, that is going to achieve the closest match. Currently I only need touch up paint to deal with chips. The existing red paint is 2K stuff but for touching up it will have to be acrylic. It certainly looks very like the photo above. Bright red with just a hint of creaminess. It would be good if the scan could identify the closeness to existing RAL colours rather than provide a formula of individual colour tones to mix. Maybe an expert could recognize a RAL colour from the readings he got.
Mick D
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Mick D »

Hi Les

Any good paint shop will have a 'swatch' of RAL colours, (my local one was good enough to give me a spare :D ), take the bike along and use the swatch to identify the closest RAL match.

Regards Mick
Les H

Post by Les H »

That's a good idea Mick...If I do get a good match, I will post the RAL code here. It will interesting to see if other red painted late Ariels have a similar colour. Whatever the result, the colour I have and the bike shown above really suits them. Thanks All.
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi Les the old paint may not match the paint cards because the colour as faded that is why we scan it, red is one of the worst colours for fading
Les H

Post by Les H »

Thanks Johnny I see what you are saying.... I was wondering though, if you started a new build project and wanted the red to be near replica of what the factory used, I wonder what the general consensus is colour wise? Does the club list its recommendations? However my bike could just have a red that the builder liked so as you say, I need to get it scanned and will do...Cheers
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.