Combi Clutch Mag lever 7/8" Pivot

Bikes or not. Whatever
Les H

Combi Clutch Mag lever 7/8" Pivot

Post by Les H »

Hi All. I was trying to find a supplier of a clutch lever (no ball end) with mag lever for my VH. I was after one with a 7/8" pivot centre as the current one is about 1 1/16" pivot and makes the clutch very hard to pull ( cable lubed and springs adjusted correctly) Not sure if they currently make one but much appreciate a link if anyone knows....Much obliged.
Les H

Re: Combi Clutch Mag lever 7/8" Pivot

Post by Les H »

Thanks for your reply Ralph...Yes, just like that one BUT although it says 7/8" it means the lever fits a 7/8 diameter bar, the actual pivot centres for this particular lever is 1 1/16". This is similar to the one I have currently. All these levers are sourced by WASSELL and I can't find another one with the 7/8" pivot distance which is BY FAR the most common size originally fitted on old bikes and it makes a big difference to the effort required to pull in the lever. You CAN get the levers with the correct pivot distance but not the combination variety with the un balled end type. I am making enquiries as to whether the ball ended version of the combination lever (Doherty...sourced by WASSELL) is the correct 7/8" size...Will post when I get the answer. Cheers again.
Paul Gasson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Paul Gasson »

I wanted the same part for my 1950 NH project and couldn’t find one so had to buy two and a half original items and make one good one from the parts. I wanted 7/8” clutch lever pivot with mag and exhaust valve lifter in one and could find nothing.
Les H

Post by Les H »

Just had it confirmed that the Doherty combi-levers even with the ball ends are ALSO the 1 1/16" pivot size...groan :( I am sure this is why so many classic bikes have heavy clutches and weak front brakes simply because the original levers were fitted with 7/8" pivots. Very strange that WASSELL never realised this when sourcing the levers....possibly because the wrong levers sell well ;)
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by paul.jameson »

Try the Czech boys:

http://www.vintage-replica.cz/

and click on the Union Jack. You may need to send them a message.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Beautifully made but no EXH or MAG. Perhaps buy tit unplated and have it engraved then plated. NO POLISHING. Nev
Les H

Post by Les H »

Thanks for the link Paul. I agree they look beautifully made and I think of a type that is possibly pre-war or very early 50s. If I had a bike that deserved this expenditure I would buy them. As I can't find any "Doherty" type combination levers with the 7/8" pivot distance, I have now bought 2x non- ball-end type with the required 7/8" pivot (£25 total) and might try to fit the mag lever to the left one. This will result in it being 90 degrees rotated but I usually have my levers set down at the front about 45 degrees so it might look OK. If not I will have to use the separate mag lever but the left hand bar end is very crowded what with the dip switch and decompressor...Will post again following the outcome...Thanks again :)
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by will_curry »

I was surprised to find that all of my post-war Ariels have control levers with what I measured
to be 1"1/4 pivot centres. I don't consider any of them to have a heavy clutch. Two have three
plate cork clutches, one has a two plate fabric clutch and the other a three plate fabric clutch
all with appropriate springs. The clutch cables on the two fabric clutches are lined and the
other two not. On all of them the clutch cable runs down the front downtube and along the top
of the primary chaincase.

I had a look in my box of control levers and all but one set are 1"1/4. I wonder what Ariel
fitted originally? The parts books aren't any help here.

I'll see if I can find a spring balance and measure what the pull is. I remember Ralph Hawkins
had such a device at one time.
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

The only lever of mine which I can be fairly sure is an original is the clutch lever on my RH500 which has the 7/8" dimension. The LG didn't come with brake and clutch levers although it did have the air, exh and mag levers. I have acquired 2 levers for it which are both 7/8" but I do still need the lower part of the two handlebar clamps to suit ( the bit that the brake or clutch pivot screw goes through). Any spare 7/8" ones would be most welcome.

My remaining bikes have a pretty random spread of levers, mainly around 1 1/16" or 1 1/8". I have small hands with short fingers so some of these are quite awkward for me to operate and I have had to modify the brake lever on my 4G in order to be able to reach it easily.

What I don't have is any clutch which could be described as heavy. All cables are lined and follow the downtube route but all clutches are cork, with the light springs for the cork. The Club is about to make another batch of these springs. The pattern used for them was one of the springs which came back from the States as part of my burnt out Healey kit of parts. Healeys were able to use NOS parts when building the bikes and mine had only done the 200 test miles in the UK before its fire.

So to me, the weight of the clutch is not related to the 7/8" dimension at all. But that dimension is important to me because of my short fingers.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.