350 piston choice for an overbored cylinder

Bikes or not. Whatever
Adz.F
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

350 piston choice for an overbored cylinder

Post by Adz.F »

Hi,

Whilst digging through the boxes of parts in my WNG build, I have turned my attention to the cylinder, which apart from a small lip is in excellent condition externally. Unfortunately it measures at just over 73mm (not a bore mic but with a vernier) not including the minor wear.

As far as I can see it should be a 72mm piston.

I could get it sleeved and use a NOS WNG piston from the club, is this likely to cause issues due to decreased heat dissipation in your experience or perhaps wall thickness issues?

Is there a different piston choice i could use in a 73mm size range that would still work, with the right sized gudgeon pin and crown height?

Many thanks

Adam
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: 350 piston choice for an overbored cylinder

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Different piston in the 73mm range with the right gudgeon pin and compression height.....

Hmmmmm - how about a +040 Ariel 350 piston?? :D :twisted:

(Or maybe a +060 if you insist on a rebore!)

There's no problem with sleeving these barrels as long as you're not going racing (I think the Hepolite catalogues used to have a sleeve in the list of standard things they would supply - just saying that sleeves for these have been around for a very long time....)

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by will_curry »

A far worse thing to do to a cylinder than sleeving it is to powder coat it.
This really does limit the heat transfer away from the cylinder.

As Simon says sleeving has been going on for a long time. I ran a sleeved 500 for
three years, mostly two-up, and quite hard without anything nasty happening.
Adz.F
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Adz.F »

Thank you both for the information.

I'm not sure the +0.040 will do with the existing wear but I will do some more measuring this weekend.

Many thanks

Adam
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Link to the Westwood Liners page showing the liner for the 350cc models :

https://westwoodcylinderliners.co.uk/pr ... ed-hunter/
Adz.F
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Adz.F »

So after waiting a very long time for my local shop to take a look, he's run a hone through it and it doesn't look great at +.040. Top limit but still has a visible lip at the top and a few small marks in the bore. I see a 350 'Slipper' piston at +0.060 in the spares scheme. Does anyone have experience of these in the WNG?

Thanks

Adam
keith.mettam
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by keith.mettam »

Hi Adam, what about this company they show +0.060" pistons in stock ? :-
https://www.classic-motorcycles.co.uk/c ... b_pid=5709
Good luck with it,
regards,
Keith.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

The later style JP pistons are a vast improvement on the earlier pattern ones. The 3 piece stainless oil ring is common these days but a bit too effective in my view. My41 W/NG runs 3 comp rings and never shows smoke after wearing out 2 back tyres and a chain. The head has never been off since 1997. It doesn't leak oil either. (engine wise) Nev
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Adam:
I'd smooth out the lip in the bore(so there's no chance of a top ring in a different piston hitting it), buy a +040 (if Allan still has one) and run with that while keeping an eye open for a NOS +060 or a replacement barrel that'll rebore to +040.
If I remember rightly those slipper pistons are extremely high compression - although that could be fun! Maybe have a word with Allan about it (also the spares list still dates from 2020 so stock may have altered).
I'm no big fan of JP pistons (they've not been kind to me and in my opinion they're a little too 'needy' ) - and experience has taught me that many engines run quite happily (if not perfectly) with all sorts of imperfections in the bores (my current VH has some appalling tram-lines down the barrel but you can still stand on the kick start - and yes, I am perpetually surprised by that!)

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

It's only the area where the rings travel that affects compression. The "rest" can be pretty ordinary. The "lip" has to be removed or you can break a top ring. What then remains for consideration is the amount of taper in the bore. Check the ring gap( An old ring will do) at the most worn part and where it's not worn and divide the difference by 3 (close enough). Let's say it's .040 and .028 difference 12 so you have '.004" of taper which is about the safe limit or something to keep you going for a year or so till you can do it properly In these circumstances often the top ring groove may be worn and require a a wider ring and regrooving..Nev